valve cover problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 09:33 AM
gman

valve cover problem

hello to all, thanks for all the help so far!!! I'm back with another problem. After the motor rebuild(4.2l, .030 over, comp.cam,milled head,borla headr,carb,tfi,etc.)I put on a new valve cover from 4wd hardware.I noticed some blue smoke .I thought it might just be my rings seating or something so didn't realy worry about it. Now the motors broken in and still getting it. More on start up or if i let it idle for a few minutes. The guy at the machine shop says he's seen this before with aftermarket valve covers on this motor, that they don't have a baffle for the pcv system to bring it down to the bottom of the valve cover like the stock one. Has anyone else experienced this? any solutions, etc.. thanks again!! gman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 11:03 AM

Re: valve cover problem

Never heard of that. But I used a stock alum one off an 88 eagle. Looks great, works great and was cheap.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 03:55 PM
gman

thanks for the response dirt dog, if I didn't spend the bucks already I start searching for that. In fact maybe I should anyway, but was curious if anyone else had this problem or maybe the builder was just giving me an excuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 08:31 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Does the aluminum cover only have one pcv hole, or is there a second hole at the front like factory. When I changed carbs I eliminated the front breather tube and bought a cheapo chrome valve cover breather. Seems to work as well, if not a little better. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 10:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

This was a common problem with the Cifford valve cover. I'm not sure if your's is the same valve cover marketed and vended by someone else.

Apparently they didn't take the time to install/test/perfect the baffle that prevents oil from getting sucked up into the draft created by the PCV valve. My 4.0 valve cover, IIRC, has a plate that extends the entire length of the valve cover ..with only a very slight opening along one edge (you almost can't see it). Any oil slung off the rockers (or just spaying around in there) strikes the plate and drops back down to the head.

If you just want to determine if this is the source of your oil smoke ...put a water seperator in line (like they use on compressed air) and see if it collects oil. I'm sure that you can adapt some type of small bottle ...but being on the suction side you have to seal it well so that you don't bleed manifold vacuum (think of it as a shop vac canister).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode