O/T 2 10" Subs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
MOX
Old Hand

O/T 2 10\" Subs

Well my girlfreinds roomate bought some new subs for her new car, the car came with a box and 2 10's in the back, but nothign else. So she handed em over to me, what do I have to do to get these guys in my Jeep, or will it even sound good in a soft top? I know nothing about subs. What size amp would I need to get and what kinda wire would I need? Any input would be great. Soon as I download the pics of it I will post em. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
MOX
Old Hand

Re: O/T 2 10\" Subs

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 02:08 AM
jeepcreep40

Sweet subs dude. it really depends what you wanna do with them. if you value your back seat you might wanna find a box that will fit behind it. or even one that might fit under it. as far as wiring goes it depends on your head unit. what kind of radio is it. you should be able to pick that up at like a Best Buy or any car sterio place. They should sound good in a soft top i dont believe it makes that big of dif. a friend of mine had subs in his and it sounded all right. As far as amps go, umm you would prob be able to get away with a good 600 watt amp. i dont know the peek power of those subs so i really cant tell you what will sound good but im sure that that would work. Try Quadratec, they were coming out with some new sterio stuff for jeeps. be careful about moisture in the ports, water and subs = no workie. hope that helps a little. im not really an expert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 02:15 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

IMO your just asking for trouble puttin those in your Jeep. My father has a convertible GTO that I put a small system in just so his jazz sounded good. Two soft tops later, he's back to cheap 6x9s and head unit. Not only do the subs make you a target, but most thugs know that you'll need an amp and will most likely update the rest of the system too.

Also, as I eluded to, you'll need to add mid range and high range speakers to make the system sound good with that much bass. And the sound quality will never be great in a Jeep, soft or hard top.

That being said, you can probably power those with as little as 100watts. You can get good sound using affordable wire and good quality connectors. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
MOX
Old Hand

I do know that the subs say 400 Watts on them, most likely I would plan on pullin the box out everynight
its not that big so it wouldn't be that much trouble, I got a Jensen Deck, it was like 150 bucks, so I don't know what all it has and dont, I don't see why it wouldn't work, its alot better then most of the ones I see in my friends cars that have fat systems.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
MOX
Old Hand

Oh, and where I live you don't really have to worry bout ur stuff gettin stolen, but i guess it can happen anywhere.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 02:26 AM

Some crafty bolting, and building can make the subs out of sight out of mind.

That being said.
I have a headunit.. and one speaker on the drivers side dash that's blown.. and that's my stereo for now.

but. my cargo box in the rear will have provisions for some speakers as it's nice once in a while.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 02:36 AM
jeepcreep40

http://www.jjournal.net/jeep/AudioFiles/BigJJ/

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=03&loc=01

theres some stuff

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1260539-sub 1.jpg (38.9 KB, 2 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 02:50 AM

gone in 60 seconds.....

anyway, that is a band pass enclosure. the enclosure becomes a filter and provides a boost in the pass band frequency. normally you would tune the enclosure by calculating the volume of the enclosure vs the port length and diameter.

1. figure out the impedance of the speakers, they are probably 4 ohm. either measure it with a multi meter or read it off the back of the magnet.

2. they are firing into a shared sealed enclosure, so you will want to run them mono.

3. you can experiment with running them in phase with each other or out of phase. running then out of phase might get you more extension ( more low bass ) but, will reduce the amount of power they can handle without bottoming out.

4. I would run 75 to 100 watts to each. you do not get allot of benefit by running more power. double the power doesn't = double the sound. double the sound requires 10X the power. ie 750-1000 watts. you just want enough power to be able to control the SUB.

5. get a 2 channel amp with a built in low pass cross over. if you have 4 ohm speakers you could possible save money and get a smaller 4 channel amp, bridge it into a 2 channel to drive each speaker. or a single Chanel running both speakers in parallel as a 2 ohm load.

6. just buy an amp install kit PHOENIX GOLD RFS102 250W AMP INSTALLATION KIT at www.partsexpress.com. stay away from the monster cable brand unless you like to spend money for nothing.

7. stay away from the swap meet. it is junk. anything good is over priced.

8. does your head unit have RCA output? if not, find an amp that has speaker level inputs

9. www.partsexpress.com sell lots amps and and stuff. they carry Phoenix gold stuff, which was top of the line in my day. you could use a PHOENIX GOLD QX300.1 1x150W AMPLIFIER driving the two subs in parallel as a single channel. or the MTX ROAD THUNDER RT251D 1x200W CLASS D POWER AMPLIFIER
( i think I would try the MTX if you have the 4 ohm speakers)
or LANZAR VIBE 230 2x125W AMPLIFIER would work.

10. only compare RMS values of power output. peak or max is B.S. for what you are buying.

11. pyramid is junk.

in reality you are better off selling the box. that is what I learned.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 08:18 AM

If you want to keep you seats and keep the subs relatively out of site get a box that fits behind your seats. I have a box behind the seats that holds two JL 10" subs with Precision Power PPX 5800 amp mounted under the back seat. Top that off with an alpine head unit and it sounds great. When ever I get out of my jeep I take the face plate with me if I think there is anychance someone might steal the stereo. So far I have been lucky I guess. I also keep some junk over the top of the sub box so it is not so visible.
Kurtiss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode