T18 Swap Episode 3 - Pry it Out, Shoehorn it In - Page 3 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Re: T18 Swap Episode 3 - Pry it Out, Shoehorn it In

It Works!!!!!

Got the crossmember back on, had to shim it 3/4" since the transmission mount is lower than the T15's was. Also had to "adjust" the holes in the crossmember because the mount fell between 2 sets of holes.

Still working on getting the exhaust all back tight, but had to take it for a drive [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The clutch linkage gave me heart failure. I started up and tried putting it in gear... Grind, Grind [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] Shut down and ponder. Did the clutch fork slip off the pivot? is the main shaft stuck in the pilot bearing effectively welding the mainshaft to the driveshaft? Is the clutch disk stuck to the flywheel? Did I put the disk in upside down? (luckily I had pics from earlier and I was able to verify correct position).

I decided to lengthen the pushrod that actuates the clutch fork using the adjuster that is there. lengthen by 1/2" increment, try, fail, lengthen again. I actually went too far and had too much travel. Got the wierd behavior of clutch disengage at mid travel and engage at full depress and full release. Backed off to where it catches at about mid pedal travel... sweet! For testing, I have the Tcase in RWD (2H) It runs very smooth on the street. Will have to wait for front shaft and TCase shifter to try off road

I know everyone says this, but MY Goodness!! This is one SLOW crawl even in 2H!!! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] The T18 is great! In addition, the newly shortened and balanced drive shaft along with the rebuilt tran/tcase has removed all vibration!!! It is smooth as silk from 0-55 [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

This is the end of episode 3, the transmission is in and functional. I still need to finish the twin stick and fix the floor pans/boots to fit, but the transmission swap is essentially done. I will start another thread with details of the Twin Stick as I get it done.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice. I had not done anything more than change plugs before I started reading this board. With your help I have swapped transmissions, rebuilt transmission and transfer case and done a bunch of other stuff that I never thought I could [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode