Electric Fuel Pump - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Electric Fuel Pump

I am installing an electric fuel pump to feed the stack carter. I know I need a regulator... I just dont know what psi it should be set at. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Electric Fuel Pump

Well I think that anything over 10 psi is overkill. 6 psi sticks in my mind as a good pressure. Wire the positive through a relay and an oil pressure switch so if the engine stalls the relay will open and kill power to the pump, not flooding things----fire hazard. Do a search here, it's been covered with diagrams and everything. I'm going to do it myself some day soon. The Jeep sits, sometimes for a whole week, facing up the driveway....fuel drains back to tank, takes it's time to get fuel and start....worse in the colder weather. Were are you an aircraft electrician, if I may ask?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 08:33 PM

Re: Electric Fuel Pump

Mark

Post back how your little project goes. I have a Holley red pump sitting in my garage. I too want to install an electric pump in my 90 YJ. It's just too cold here in NJ (as you would know) to want to spend any time in the cold garage doing anything that isn't absolutely necessary. Supposedly, the Holley red doesn't need a regulator.

5-6 psi sounds about right.

Jimmyz...I did some searches on this topic and didn't have much luck finding resourceful info. Do you know of any particular threads that are helpful?

The biggest obstacles I see to overcome are (1) where to place the (external) pump back near the gas tank so it can push the fuel instead of pulling and keep it out of harms way and be level with the bottom of the gas tank and (2) how to wire it properly to be energized by the starter solenoid to pump when cranking the motor and then have the voltage switch to a circuit that is energized by the oil pressure sensor. I haven't really looked into it too hard yet, so maybe the solution is simple. I see Summit and the likes sell a safety switch to rig it up with the oil pressure sensor, I just can't tell from the pictures of it and all how it is configured. Does it replace the stock oil pressure sensor? Is it universal?

Any thoughts?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode