O/T Anybody know how to clean a big screen TV? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

O/T Anybody know how to clean a big screen TV?

Ok, I got myself in trouble. My son, the one my mom and I gave a big screen for Christmas, commented that his had a much clearer picture than mine. I noticed that the screen was a bit dusty so I decided to clean the screen. I used soap and water on a just damp sponge and wiped with a paper towel. Well, the problem is the way the screen is made with all those little grooves, I couldn't get it completely dry.

Overnight, the dampness ran to the bottom of the screen and collected in the channel that holds the screen. Actually, there are two screens, one with vertical grooves and one with concentric grooves laid against the back of front one. The water in the channel wicked up between the two screens and that's when my trouble began. I've got hard water and when the water dried, it left deposits.

I popped off the front trim, removed two of the channels and then the screens. I laid the screens out on the floor, face down, and cleaned the back sides. I cleaned the mirror while I had it open. I then put the rear screen back on the TV and cleaned the front of it. When that dried completely, I installed the front screen and cleaned the front of it. I still had streaks.

I repeated the procedure and still had streaks. I repeated using white vinegar, better, but still have streaks. I've tried window cleaner, alcohol and eyeglass cleaner. I'm using lint free cleaning cloths too. I keep getting streaks. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I've looked online for hints, cleaners and/or cleaning kits but have come up empty. Anybody know the secret to getting it clean again.

Oh, it turned out that the clarity problem was the cable signal. It kept steadily getting worse until I called yesterday to set up an appointment for Monday. Today the signal cleared up, at least for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 02:36 PM

Re: O/T Anybody know how to clean a big screen TV?

Quarter car wash? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I don't know, so all I can do is offer suggestions. I would try white vinegar and distilled water. Since the screens are off now, I would use LOTS - to the point of pouring it down the screen to run off the bottom. After that, same procedure with just distilled water. Then I'd blow it dry with compressed air; probably a fairly light stream.

A friend dropped his Minolta (9000?) autofocus, auto everything 35mm camera in the ocean, and we resurrected it with that procedure.

If that fails I'd be forced to contact the manufacturer. Drat! [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 06:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well not sure how to tell you to clean the screen. but your "fuzzy" picture is probably not the screen but the projectors in back of the screen. From all i have heard you clean them the same as you would a pair of good glasses use an eyeglass cleaner and super soft cloth. sorry i can't help about the screen.

oops disregad sorry didn't read the bottom of your post. about the cable signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 06:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i would suggest you get one of the lexan screen covers they sell at stores like bestbuy and circut city. they protect the screen and sharpen the picture surprisingly well.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Leigh_Smith

Ditto on the cover if you get your's clean. My RCA 52" came with one and it helps when the dog sees other dogs on tv and starts licking the screen. For cleaning I use windex but not very often.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

Once I get it clean, I'll look into the screen cover, at least until my granddaughter grows up a little. She's 14 months now and gets right n front of the TV and sometimes slaps the screen. I've got a video of her watching some kids playing soccer. She starts slapping on the screen and hollering at them. One of them comes running toward her and she keeps looking further and further up until she falls over backwards like a penguin watching a plane fly overhead.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 11:05 PM

I just got a 52" RCA myself.. I'm scared to have kids now that you wrote that...

Yikes.
Sean
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 11:25 AM
Journeyman

Check in at www.avsforum.com
Great site for any advice and how to's relating to everything related to home theater. Helped me a bunch.
Good luck,
Greg
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 07:09 PM

Have any luck yet? Let us know how this turns out.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

I didn't want to get into too much today, it got too late. I went up to my mom's and got some soft water. Mixed some with dish soap and put it in an old, clean spray bottle. Put some without soap in another spray bottle. I tried cleaning it some more today. I had been trying to clean it on the set swapping the screens and swapping sides, but I'd still wind up with streaks. Today, I think I found the trick. I took one of the screens and cleaned parts of it while I held it pressed up against a sliding glass patio door. I was able to see the streaks better and flip it side for side. I'd get one small area cleaned on each side and move on to the next.

I'll start on it again in the morning. I ain't making this mistake again! Oh, and as long as I had it apart, I cleaned the mirror and the projection lenses.

They came out an worked on the cable yesterday, that's a story in itself, I threw the first guy out of the house. The second guy made a big improvement but it still wasn't great. He was argumentative and kept telling me that I had a problem with the TVs and VCRs. I asked him if he was saying that I had 2 bad TVs and a bad computer that was the problem. He told me it was a little here and a little there. I told him to take care of his "little there" and I'd deal with the other "little here" if I needed to.

Today, the cable cleared up on most channels but a couple of others went as bad as before he came out yesterday. It's not my imagination. I recorded the Simpsons last night on the computer to make a VCD and again tonight. There is a LOT of difference between the one yesterday and the one today.

Gift horse, close your mouth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode