T18 Swap Episode 2 - Twin Stick, U-Shift or Mono? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

T18 Swap Episode 2 - Twin Stick, U-Shift or Mono?

Well, the rebuilt T18 is sitting ready to install. Now on to the Transfer Case(s). The original Dana 20 in the Jeep is the standard single stick Dana 20 with the straight shifter. The 2nd Dana 20 is from a FSJ truck and has the U-pattern shifter. I recently found out you can twin stick the -20 [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I thought that was only available with a Dana 18 or 300. I am not that hard core of a wheeler (yet), but why not go for it while everything is apart?

Any thoughts on which is the best approach? I am leaning toward homebrew twin stick or U-shifter.

Are there any detailed writeups on the Dana 20 rebuild? I have searched and not much is around. Maybe it is too easy to have driven someone to write it up. Of course I have the Haynes and Chilton books as well as a '72 tech manual, but I got a lot from the web writeups for the T18, so I wonder if anyone knows of a Dana 20 writeup.

Thanks in advance for advice and suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 07:09 AM

Re: T18 Swap Episode 2 - Twin Stick, U-Shift or Mono?

It's a tossup whether I would twin-stick it or not. I had the chance during the rebstoration but didn't.

If I did, I wouldn't remove the interlock as so many do. 2-low is available with the interlock in place. The only (marginally) usefull function you gain is front-wheel-only drive, which doesn't seem very valuable in comparison to what can happen if you pick an illegal combination, such as front-high - rear-low.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 11:24 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Location: Selma,CA in the middle of the vineyards, Central California

Personal opinion, the "U" pattern shifter is the worst one ever built. Twin stick is 'neat' thing but requires the brain to in gear before using. I don't recall any trouble with the shifter (I have the 'straight') but I have a Scout Dana 300. I know I've seen a dana 20 write up but I can't find it. Only one I found is the dana 20 2.47:1 upgrade. If I find it, I'll come back and post it or the link. thought it was at www.rockcrawler.com but only found dana 300 & tera low stuff.
[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I have the same tranny and transfer cases you do. I was using the single stick until the linkage got so loose that I had difficulties on a regular basis shifting. I just did the twin stick to the U-shifting Dana 20. There is most likely no interlocking pin in your case as the U-shifter didn't require one. There are a ton of write-ups on here for the twin stick. I didn't find any about a rebuild.

I will twin stick the original now and keep it as a spare. I have found that it shifts much easier and that front wheel drive is very handy once you have it, without it I never knew I needed it, but now I seem to like having it.

I did the twin stick for about $25 in parts. I would recommend it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 08:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go to novak-adapt.com for all of your tech and parts needed. They will gladley answer all question and have the very best parts. As for my opinion, go for the twin stick setup. Only way to go. The 20 is a good case, 3:1 available. The 300 is better, 4:1 option available
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Mud in my Veins

That info sounds familiar.... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I twinsticked my D20 (same crappy shifter as the FSJ= no interlock pills) 2 summers ago. It's definitly in the top 5 best mods & Like Aaron, I have about less than $10 in it. Like hesaid, you'll never know how you did without it until you do it...

Here's my twinstick write-up from '02... [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Wow! this board is the greatest!
Thanks Jim, GoldToy, Aaron, yoness, and Caver Dave! I think I am inspired to twin stick after all. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Not much to report today on the rebuild, just acquired a 1-1/8 deep socked so I could remove the yokes. Counter shaft is out of the FSJ dana 20 which will become the main one since it should twin stick the best.

more as it happens...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Enthusiast

I know... just reading through these posts is like getting a first class edumacation!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Progress update 2-16-04:

Results of several sessions over the last 3 or 4 days:

Finally got everything out of the case and cleaned / inspected. The FSJ D20 has a wierd type of yoke and e-brake combo on the rear, so I am going to swap in the front yoke and rear bearing / output shaft / yoke from the CJ's D20.

Next, I reassembled starting with the front output shaft. The shift rails were a real booger until I finally figured out where all the interlock slots were and also finally read and understood the instructions. The final stumbling block was that the right (as viewed from the top facing front) rail must be in Neutral so the interlock fits in there and then the left rail slides right in. I had tried lots of other combinations and none of them worked.

Next the intermediate shaft. Like the T18, I used a piece of wood dowel (1-1/8" would have been perfect, I used 1-1/4" and it was tight) and petroleum jelly to line up the roller bearings and spacers. Thrust washers with coper sides in and slipped right in.

Last the rear shaft swapped from the CJ's D20. Easiest of the three. Now the bottom pan and gasket. BTW all gaskets were put in with rtv. Now all that remains to be done is install front and rear yokes and attach the Tcase to the Transmission.

It is a good feeling knowing every bolt, nut, spring and gear inside the guts of your rig.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Rebuild Finished!

I had put the rear shaft from the CJ D20 into the rebuild, but as I was moving it around, I noticed it had a large amount of end play (shaft would push/pull 1/2" or more). I figured that was bad, so I yanked the wierd yoke and e-brake stuff off the FSJ D20's rear shaft and mounted it instead. Nice and tight on the push pull now [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Moment of truth on the shifters. I was going to wimp out and use the U shifter, but luckily I couldn't get the support pipe to fit in the brackets. I just am out of energy to take on another fab project, plus no welder or welding experience, so I found a set of twin sticks to buy (I know [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img] but at this point it is time to get it all back together). They are on the way.

Mounted the Dana 20 onto the T18. Don't they look purty?

This is the end of episode 2. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] The twin stick install will be in episode 3 along with the remaining steps of the reinstall. Thanks to all for your comments, suggestions and help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1266827-DSC00036sm.jpg (89.9 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode