O/T- 85 Dodge 1 ton - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

O/T- 85 Dodge 1 ton

Well my ongoing search continues for a decent but cheap pickup to use as a daily highway driver, parts hauler, and tow rig for my 72 Commando on a dual axle trailer. Most of what I have found in Fords and Chevys has been too beat or too expensive but I may have found a decent Dodge. Its an 85 one ton, 4WD, 360, 727, and I believe it should have 60s front and rear and a 205 case but will confirm this when I see it in person. I have no experience with Dodges at all so is there anything I should watch out for on them and will this have enough power to pull well? Is the 360 a decent compromise for a DD and a tow rig? I figure I can always throw a 4bbl and headers on it for more power and a tranny cooler is a must for the 727 but other than that it should be pretty much bulletproof, right? Thanks for any help from anyone that has any experience with them....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 09:51 PM
jcarcrew

Re: O/T- 85 Dodge 1 ton

I would love to say that I would recommend my dodge. Unfortunately, it blew the motor 150 miles after I bought it. It is a 90 1 ton with a 360 and a NP435. It is a 2wd with a dana 70 rear. Great truck, but I think the 360 is too small for a 1 ton. It is way too easy to overload the engine with what the frame and chassis is able to easily haul. I broke the crank, bent a rod, broke a piston, punched a hole in the cylinder and probably more. This truck only has 72000 miles and looks really nice. But, the 360 1 ton is only rated at 8900 lbs GVWR. SO, long story short, check the motor VERY carefully. You don't want to be like me... I bought this nice tow rig so I could stop driving my commando, and now I am driving my commando all the time [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode