almost ready to run - 360 cont. - ideas or sugg. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

almost ready to run - 360 cont. - ideas or sugg.

ok, the alternator is on thanks to Casey (irjpr) and his parts, the carb is bolted down to my home made studs, the throttle linkage has been fabricated and is in and hooked up, the choke linkage has been fabbed and is in, the electric fan is all hooked up and running great (man that thing flows some air), all of the wiring is done, the fuel lines are hooked up.

ran into two problems that slowed then prevented the firing today...

1. the heater lines on the 258 are smaller than the ones on the 360 so i had to use a 3/4" hose for them and they were consequetially not tightened enough and the jeep appeared to have an incontinence problem when i filled the radiator. --- tightened properly after small aneurism and all was well

2. friend who owns shop (Ronnie) and has graciously allowed me to take over an entire bay of it as well as several of his tools for however long this has taken me refuses to be a party to the initial firing of an engine without an oil pressure guage (the old one was mech and the tube was dry rotted and cracked during the swap). --- have new OEM replacement enroute from Krage (jeepdoc).

hopefully the firing will commence next week when i have my next break from work. then it is off to the exhaust guy where the jeep will be fitted with 2.25" duals through 40 series flows.

the engine will be thoroughly primed prior to the firing (Ronnie says he like to see 60 on the guage and oil spewing from the pushrods before he fires them)

if anyone can think of anything that i have overlooked or that you feel should be addressed before the firing please chime in [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

thanks and i'll be posting the results and updating my website with the rest of the narrative and some more pics as it goes.

-web
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 10:33 PM
DirtyBoy

Re: almost ready to run - 360 cont. - ideas or sugg.

...an excellent way to help prime a motor is to place a tub of vasoline in boiling or hot tap water with the lid off, it will melt at that temp. Then take your oil pump assembly and let it get to room tempature and pour in the melted vasoline into the pump(all neccesary ports), it will coagulate or re-gel on contact of cooler part. Also pour in the rest of it untill you can no longer into the port of the motor in which the oil pick up tube meets the timing cover(but your motor is already together). It will not hurt anything or react to your oil, which you should change after initial motor break-in. The oil pump pressure return spring which usually comes with new oil pump kit can be stretched no more than a maximum of a 1/2" to increase oil pressure(usually pressure will not exceed 85psi under full accelleration and a cold motor-tested on a couple 304-360's motors of my own). Also make sure that your battery is at full charge, many starting gremlins can be attributed to a low charge. Check all motor mounting bolts to make sure none where left loose, did you reinstall the ground straps from the motor side of the mount to the frame side of the mount? and the motor ground strap to the frame? Attach all correct vacuum lines and fuel lines. Have a clean front axle and floor to make it easier to check for leaks if any do occur. Clear all objects from the fans and fire away. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 01:02 AM

Re: almost ready to run - 360 cont. - ideas or sugg.

Not to do a total thread hijack here.... but I have a similar question. I have a freshly rebuilt 304, not broken in yet. I know the break in procedure, but I need to dial in a carb first (my edelcrap, well crapped...) so rather than make that mistake again, I am swapping on a Q-jet. I need to dial in my timing, and get the carb dialed in as well, but doing this on a non broken in engine seems a bit risky. I know they don't like to be idled until broken in, but how else can get it up to temp and have it running long enough to time/tune it??

I have quite a few good links on breaking it in, but nothing that answers my worries of doing this stuff before the break in is complete. If it helps, this problem all stems from my timing being set way to far advanced. (sitting at roughly 15 btdc) I went to retart the timing and adjust idle mixture, but the adjusting screws on teh carb would not move. (in or out) I tried penetrating oil, gentle heat, gentle taps, finally upped to a bigger hammer and busted one.

Any worries about running it long enough to get it to temp, and do some of this timing/tuning stuff??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Re: almost ready to run - 360 cont. - ideas or sug

my mechanic friend seemed perfectly happy with firing it up for a couple of minutes, getting the timing about right, getting the carb about right, then getting them both on the number prior to the break in.

i trust him implicitly, but if anyone else has any other suggestions my ears are open, well i guess its my eyes, whatever

-web
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode