TJ Long Arm Lifts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 03:33 PM
msquared

TJ Long Arm Lifts

Hey All,

Alright, once again I've tried the search and come up empty. Looking for 'TJ Lift' gets a large response, but mostly for 2 and 3" kits. Long arm's aren't even mentioned really until going back to posts from 2000. But since then there have been MANY kits released. I just can't seem to find a resource online that compares the technical details/differences between each kit out there. I can't stand the thought of spending $3000 (Canadian!) without knowing I'm getting the best kit available for the application.

So... Here's a post (the first that I could find) specifically about TJ long arm lifts.

I'm in the market for a 6" lift.

When I called my local shop to talk lifts, the guy there was saying that fabtech's 6", and rubicon express' 6" were the best around (even though they sell pretty much all of them). He prefered fabtech's. He sited the fact that their kit's arms will bolt to the factory axle mounts, without the use of any 'extentions'. He said that he used one of the other kits on his personal Jeep and it had extentions off of the axle mounts, and proved to generate excess leverage and actually broke the factory mounts off the axle. Anybody else find this to happen?

Also he said that skyjacker's heim ends wear very fast and cost a lot to replace...

Here are the kits that I'm aware of:

Fabtech, PLUS: Arms mount directly to axle
Rubicon Express, PLUS: Arms mount directly to axle?
Skyjacker, DIS: Fast wear on heim ends
Full Traction, ???

Does anyone have any specific plus's or dis's for these kits and any other kits available?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 03:45 PM

Re: TJ Long Arm Lifts

There was a complete write up in JP Magazine several months back about all the kits - what they liked and didn't like. I suggest trying to get a copy of that issue.

Maybe someone here still has it - I might even have it - will check when I get home and you can just payapl me the shipping cost to you.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 03:55 PM
msquared

I don't mind sending a few bucks your way, but how about scanning and emailing the article instead? Or faxing or anything other then snail mail, really. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 06:30 PM
Official Historian

Most of the time when the long arm kits are talked about, they are abbrieviated as "LA".
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 06:35 AM

There is a lot of discussion about long arm kits at www.rubiconownersforum.net
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 09:44 AM

Well...when I got home last night to look for the magazines - my wife threw most of them out already. I am sure someone on this board still has a copy they will send you. Don't some of you guys remember when they compared all the different companies with the pros/cons of each? Some didn't handle that well - others had rubbing problems - some made noises, etc. Sorry I couldn't be of more help...maybe try JP Magazine and see if it is archived there.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 02:16 PM
Old Hand

I definitely have got the mag somewhere as I haven't thrown away a single issue AND my girlfriend is banned from doing do or she'll be evicted [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Problem is that I sold both my scanners so I have no way of scanning them at the moment. I could photocopy them next week and fax them from work if you can wait that long.....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 03:08 PM
Addict

It was the May 2003 issue. If you get me an email address I will send them to you.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

dont forget that magazines make $$$$$. they make $$$ from subscriptions and from advertisers. this is why you NEVER see a bad report in print.. they dont want to offend a potential ad. I believe it's also true that whoever advertises the most in that mag will most likely get the best review.... If I were the editor thats the way it would be (if I wanted to remain editor).
all this aside, I like the RE kit. I have seen several of the others and they are not as beefy. The ONLY kit you see on serious trails is the RE long arm.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast

sorry to post this late... I have been away at my brothers wedding.. anyway... I just wrote a little article on this subject..

Before you read I have to put a disclaimer. This is just what I have learned and my opinion and by no means am I an expert... there are many more qualified individuals in this forum to probably ask...

www.4x4garage.com

I did a lot of research and found that the Fabtech kit was the best for me. I think the real competitors are the Fabtech Kit, Rubicon Express Kit, and the Full Traction Kit. The Full Traction Kit is completely bolt on BUT! you have to put in a complete custom exhaust... so expect to spend another 350-400 there. I went down to Drivetrain Direct / Superior Axle and Gear (same company) to look at there TJ with the FT Kit... I have to say it was impressive. The biggest diameter arms of the group. The RE Extreme Duty Long Arm (EDLA) kit is a good kit too. The install is more intense but provides perhaps the best center ground clearance for the group. The con that I have heard is vibration and the amount of tight welding on the install. The Fabtech kit arms are non adjustable but it provides great on road driving. The rear does not articulate as well as the full traction. I went to 4 wheel parts and I ramped 2 RE kits and 1 fabtech kit and the fabtech kit out ramped both the RE kits. Not by much though.

I am thrilled so far with the Fabtech kit though. I really really am pleased both on and off road... I am running

Fabtech 6.0 in Long Arm
35 Goodyear MTRs
Borla Header
K&N FIPK

Time to upgrade some axles... does it ever end!!!

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode