Question for the 4.0 swap guru's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Question for the 4.0 swap guru\'s

Wanting to swap in a 2001 4.0 and use my MPI kit. Would the distributer, MPI intake, fuel rail, etc. from the MPI kit bolt on the 01 4.0? I was planning to use the 01 4.0 exhaust manifold and the MPI intake. I had heard that the bolt patterns for the intake and exhaust were different from the 91-94 heads???? How about the flexplate and starter from my 258, will they work on this late a model 4.0? The alternator is another question. I know the 01 alternator is different but could it be wired to work w/ the kit? I remember putting a diode in one of the wires when I put the MPI kit on. I'll get a 4.0 damper/CPS to work w/ the MPI kit on the 4.0 unless the bracket/CPS from the MPI kit(for the 258) will bolt to the 4.0 oil pan, then I'll use the CPS that I have. I've tried the search function but haven't found a post relating to the way I want to do it. I know this is a long post but I appreciate all info.
Well, one question has been answered. I would need to use my existing alternator. Does this late a model 4.0 have the mounting holes for the cj alternator brackets? Also I have heard that the motor mounts are different from the 91-94 so this isn't a direct bolt in. Anybody know this stuff for sure? Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 08:49 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Question for the 4.0 swap guru\'s

Your manifolds will not work. They changed the bolt pattern in '96. Try to get the 2001 manifolds if you can. They are the newest style (intake is more like a high rise and the exhaust is like a set of headers). These are better than the ones from '96. I would reuse your fuel rail and injectors. They will swap over. The new 4.0's have a fuel pressure regulator in the tank, so if you use your old rail, you can leave the regulator and return line up on the head. I think everything else will swap over. If it will, that is good because you can reuse your '94 computer and beat the OBDII junk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode