Offset engine? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Offset engine?

Whats the deal with off-setting a 350 in a YJ..

MORE, AA, and Novak all offset their YJ mounts to the passanger side.. and their CJ mounts to the driver side.

I want to put my 350 in wiht the NP231.. but then swap over to the D300 soon after...

will it run centered? will that give clearance to both driveshaft configs? or neither?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 08:16 AM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Offset engine?

I would think it has something to do with the front diff. Maybe it will hit on the pan of a 350?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 08:26 AM
Official Curmudgeon

It doesn't have anything to do with the 350, in the CJ anyway the whole drivetrain is offset from the crankshaft pulley to the rear differential pinion. The mounts I bought put the sbc on the same CL of the original 258. With no lift, the front driveshaft on mine is pretty close to the sbc bellhousing but not a lot worse than it was with the 258.

I assume the YJ is the same, just offset to the other side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

HRMMM!

Well I'm SOA.. but I want lots of room around the front D/S cause on my 258 I have none, I've lathed my way trhough it once already.

So I need to pick a side and go for it?
That's no fun.

thanks guys.
Guess I'm doing the D300 swap sooner rather then later. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 03:13 PM
Official Curmudgeon

I ain't up on axle swaps and my Jeep came with the D300. The only thing I've done is swap in Summers Bros. full floater axles and disc brakes for the AMC Model 20. Works for me.

I do know that if the centerline of the output of your transfer case is not inline (looking from overhead) with the pinion in your rear axle, you introduce a driveshaft angle in a new plane. The greater the total angle is, the harder it is on u-joints. If you have SOA, you probably have a high driveshaft angle already and adding to the total angle in another plane might be a problem.

What are you doing for a front axle? Is it set up for driver or passenger side drop? If it's driver's side drop, you have to flip the D300. I don't know much about that except that I've read that it has been done.

My Chevy motor mounts have a several holes in them at about 2" centers, so I'd guess that they would work for drop on either side in a YJ or a CJ.

I guess you've got some research to do but I think I've pointed you in the right direction.

I hope this earns me some leniency with you to tolerate those off-topic posts.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

of course taz [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

It's a YJ now, 4.2L drivers side drop.
It's got a very short shaft out back, and SOA.

Going with a SBC 350, SM465, and NP231/D300

Problem. I was thinking I could make it much easier by keeping the NP231 for now. Just to simplify things. and keep it in its current loction. (if everything lines up.)

but then there's the problem of the motor mounts. offset left or right. .. hrm!

so Now i'm leaning more towards putting hte motor on the drivers side, using the D300 rigth off the bat, sliding everything as far forward as possible (limited by several factors that i know about) and getting a new rear shaft made. (or finding one the correct length)

That means I'm 2wd until i find myself a front axle (not too hard around here) and swap it in with a new driveshaft.

This will also help with exhaust routing.. and everything else, as it won't have to be moved the worked around if I went with my other option which was the t-case swap down the road.

Just means I'm 2wd for a while. no biggie.. i can live with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode