Bad Vibrations... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 07:16 PM
304CJ7

Bad Vibrations...

After the RE 4.5 lift my rear driveshaft is vibrating like crazy. Specifically through 2nd gear (3spd auto). I threw a ujoint last night on my way home at about 10pm. My flashlight batteries died so i used the twins sticks and went front wheel drive to a local gas station. On the way my throttle cable slipped of the pedal (Any good ways to fx this?). Yea lots of fun. We dropped the tcase and used the shims. I know the shims are in the right direction. What can I do? I figure im gonna have to get a cv driveshaft; and a yolt, ujoint, and possibly a muffler from what happend last night. Anyone else had problems like this? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 04:09 PM
304CJ7

Re: Bad Vibrations...

BUMP!!!

Alright, I talked to Tom Woods and they said...

[ This will require changing the rear output yoke on the transfer case to one that is compatible with both the t-case & of course the drive shaft. We sell this yoke for $60.00
For the CV drive shaft itself we have two different options available, depending on what you want/need in regards to quality, cost & features. Either shaft would be built brand new, complete with joints & balanced. A drive shaft built from all premium quality components is $269.00. ( S
spline) I have no concerns with this shaft in regards to a strength issue. Or our top of the line shaft, built with all premium quality components and the long travel, full length ( XC or XB) slip & spline is $299.00. For long
term dollar spent, I consider the latter to be the best value ]

I think that its a little pricy, but is it my only solution? I would go ahead and buy the nicer shaft and yolk. 360.00! Ouch! So what do you guys think? I really want some input on this one. Thanks

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Old Hand

First, I found a couple of places that were a little cheaper. But it would take 3 weeks+ to deliver.
Second, found a local shop that would do it for a little less, but, I was concerned about quality. They didn't seem to undertand the offroad market.
So I went with Tom Woods. I never heard anything bad about them, they deliver in 1 week and they didn't seem to far out of line on price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 04:08 PM
304CJ7

So...getting a new shaft is my only option?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 10:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Have you ever hear the expression.."We learn by our mistakes...that is why we are all so smart".

With 4 1/2" of lift, the only way to get rid of the vibration is to go with a CV driveshaft. Trust me on this one.....having tried all the tricks with shims...you will never get it vibration free. Mainly because the shims only solve the vibration at one angle...the minute you accel, decel, etc, the angle changes, hence, vibration.

Put in the CV driveshaft, remove the shims and don't worry about it any more. It's money well spent.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Old Hand

You can get a used front shaft from a wrangler or cherokee and have it shortened to save some cash. I got one from a 95 cherokee. Has 1310 u-joints and .120 wall tubing. The spline was an 1/8" thinner than the shaft I had made by tom woods. I paid $33 shipped to my door for it, off ebay. Then a local driveline shop shortened and balanced it for $65. Took them 30 minutes to do while I waited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode