1989 258 I6 - same old problem with a twist - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 02:58 PM
rangerYJ

1989 258 I6 - same old problem with a twist

I have the same problem everyone else is complaining about. The Carter carb and the faulty emmissions system, stalling at a stop, etc. I have found something unusual. I'm getting water collecting in the air cleaner and in the PCV breather filter case. I assume that it is getting sucked into the carb. I checked the symptoms and found no indication of water entering from the downstream check valve. Both tubes are clean- although there is an absence of any suction. So as a temporary fix, I removed the old PCV breather tube and replaced it with a 2 foot hose and blocked the connection on the air cleaner. This morning the Jeep started on the first turn and seemed to have about 10 more horsepower. I'll see how it does for a couple days. I found other broken lines in the Puse Air System. I may have to do the Weber 551 install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 03:09 PM

Re: 1989 258 I6 - same old problem with a twist

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I may have to do the Weber 551 install.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any Emission laws in West Virginia? Out here that carb won't pass the equipment check law [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 05:44 PM
Enthusiast

Sounds like you've got classic 258 blow-by, no real way to fix it except with a ring job. Just do a search for the topic and you should see a hundred solutions for the water/oil mess. At a minimum, you want to remove the breather line from the air cleaner to prevent oil from mucking things up - sounds like you've already done this.

Switching to a different carb will likely produce much better engine performance, but won't cure the blow-by. Just live with it and make sure that a carb swap won't cause you problems with emissions testing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Can't Get Enough

Hello. Welcome ro the board. Where at in WV? I'm familiar with northern WV, panhandle and as far south as Fairmont. Blow-by....I keep a PCV valve in kerosene then swap them out as soon as I see stuff in air cleaner. My $0.02.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode