Jeep trade - Advice!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Jeep trade - Advice!!!

My father-in-law has a 1990 (or close to that year) yamaha virago 600 (or 650, cant recall). It is in really nice shape. I think he's asking around $3000 or so for it...
Anyway, this guy has offered him a trade, even up. He has a 1988 wrangler, 4cyl, new soft top that he wants to trade for the bike. The guy is otherwise asking $4500 for the jeep. My father-in-law says the jeep is 2 wheel drive (I thought all jeeps were 4wd?

Okay, so what he plans to use it for: Drive it back and forth between home and this place he volunteers which is about 10 miles each way. He currently drives a 2000 dodge dakota 4 door pickup (nice truck, still waiting to hear from him on the mileage he gets with it).

So he called me and asked me if I thought it was a good trade. I told him it depended on the mileage, rust factor, and if it was worth it to him. But I also told him I'd come here and check out what the other "Jeep guys and girls" had to say....So, throw me some thoughts if you will... Thanks!

Marcus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 06:36 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Jeep trade - Advice!!!

If it is an 88 wrangler it is 4wd,

I can get the jeeps cheaper than that around here, bt they will be ate up with rust,,, So it may be a worthy trade,,, Just depends on what you want

In my area with no options It would Kelly for about 2800

look here: http://www.kbb.com/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 08:11 AM

I own an 88, and that price sounds a bit high.

I second getting the www.kbb.com value for it. But there are a few issues with the 88. Is the carb the same on the 4 cyl?

Like the 6 cyl, you have a few hurdles. The transmission is cheezy (BA/10) I think you'd have the AX5 on the 4 cyl. I'm not sure which transfer case you'd have, you have the vaccuum advance front axle, which probably doesnt work at this point. If it's the same carb as the 4 cyl, have a lot of fun with it, it's know to give all owners a serious issue.

How many miles are on it?

If he seems happy with it, It might be a fair trade. I guess it would break down to how much work it needs to get to a point he'd be happy with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 11:29 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I might be reading too much into this, but here are my thoughts. If he is doing volunteer work, my guesss is that he's retired. What does he need with the Yamaha? The Jeep would be much more practical. He can still get the wind in the face and openness that he gets on the Yamaha. He was going to ask $3000 for the Yamaha, might not get it. So if the Jeep is worth "only" $2800, that probably about what he could reasonably expect to get out of the Yamaha. So: Fair Trade. And one he can use year around. Just my $.02 worth. And I like this thread--making a practical use of the board. Sure beats arguing the merits of the half-time show.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 03:05 PM

I'm in 100% agreemwnt with Tom.

Asking price is one thing actual price is another and if it comes out as an even trade every one should be happy. The Jeep is high but so is 3000 for the Yamaha.
The Jeep should have the AX5 tranny with a 231 t-case. That 4 popper should last him a very long time if it never has been driven hard.

The disconnect may be frozen causing them to think its only 2WD. An easy fix if that is the issue.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Okay, he replied to my e-mail I sent him this morning...

It's a 1994 yamaha (stock retail at $2900). He has it chromed out with engine guards, widshield, saddlebags, etc. All new bringing the retail to $3400...plus it has low mileage which adds a little to that (the bike only has 4600 miles on it)... He is retired and bought the bike to drive back and forth from this place he volunteers at. Problem is, he hasn't ridden a bike in 30+ years...He has had numerous knee problems...and he is steadily losing weight (down to around 265 from 330 last year). Well, the first ride on the bike, he lost his balance at the end of the street while turning around, slipped, his ankle caught underneath it and broke it...no damage at all to the bike. Anyway, the cast is off, etc. etc...

He gets about 18mpg in his pickup, but in his words, "I'm putting mileage on it that I'd rather not." He has not "SEEN" the jeep yet. So, I guess the advice I will give him is, "After seeing the jeep, test driving, looking at possible maintenance records (if the PO kept any), it sounds like a very fair trade to me." He is getting rid of the bike, which he wants. Yet, still gaining the transport vehivle he desired in the first place. And I agree, he can still get the same wind in the face experience out of the jeep (or close to it anyway).

As far as the carb goes...how will I know if it is the one that everyone has problems with? What kind of problems are they? Is it easy to swap out to a more reliable system, for a low cost?

I appreciate all the input! Keep it coming!

Marcus
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 05:46 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

All 4 cyl YJs were fuel injected, as far as I know. So there is no carb issue.

Some 88s still had the NP207 transfer case, as I understand it. The TC was changed to the NP231 sometime in 88. My 88 has a 231. Not much aftermarket support for the 207, so I'd check the tag to see if it has a 231.

Front dana 30 is not a bad axle, but yes it is a vacuum disconnect, as are all YJs. Rear dana 35 is crap if he wants to build the jeep at some point.

I'm not sure on the standard transmissions - I don't think the 4 cyl tranny is as bad as the please-go that came with the 6 cyls. of that era, but it would be something to look into.

Good luck
Pete
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

That doesn't sound bad at all...he doesn't plan to build the jeep at all as far as I know. He was saying that the guy told him it was lifted and had bigger tires on it...So we'll have to see how big, and if they changed the gear ratio in the rear...speaking of which, anyone have a link to identify rear axle ratios in 88 YJ's? Is the tag on the transfer case going to say NP207 or 231? Or will it have some sort of code? If it is coded, where can I find out what the code means? I am clueless on the YJ's. I have owned only one jeep and it is my 85 CJ that I have been driving daily for the past 11 1/2 years. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm going to search for info on it, but any other links you all might know of would be great. I really appreciate the help and advice! This board is awesome! I knew I'd get answers by coming here.

Marcus
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 08:51 PM

I would say go for it if he's seen the jeep and it looks and runs good.

WHY?

Jeeps are "hot" and expensive right now.
Viragos, while nice bike have never commanded the best prices.

As a jeep and bike guy Thats my $.02.

Just make sure he checks out the jeep good. If it's nice, then he is getting the good end of the deal. (that means if both were to sell them outright.........I would have to say that around me the jeep would end up being worth more cash in the end)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

I agree with you DirtDog. And while I was excited when he got his bike (cause we can go ride together now), I figured it wouldn't last long...and it didn't.

I told him to give the guy a call back and set up a time on a weekend when I can come down there with him to check it out. He doesn't get up and down from the floor very well at all anymore, so I offered to crawl around under it for him to check it out. You know the usual rust places, etc. He put a call in yesterday afternoon to the guy, so we should be hearing back from him soon. I'll keep you all posted on what happens. Thanks again!

Marcus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode