Fitting 35's on a yj, this sound right? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Fitting 35\'s on a yj, this sound right?

It looks like instead of getting 33's for my jeep now i either have the choice of 31" mall terrains or 35" mud tires. I'm going to take the 35" muds since a lot of the trails around here require atleast 33's if not bigger to get through the ruts, i've been on 32's and i wouldn't clear a lot of the ruts. I'm getting a 4" procomp lift (not my #1 choice but it's free) and i'm thinking a 1" body lift and tj flares and it should be just about right to clear 35's. I'm not a fan of tons of lift but i'm thinking this should be just enough lift to work right. Am i off track here or does this sound right? I know my axles and gears arn't up to the task though i have plans for them.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 04:47 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Fitting 35\'s on a yj, this sound right?

That should work fine. The TJ flares really help.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 05:20 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Andy, I thought you were buying this Jeep so you could lightly modify it and make it a mall crawler. I guess I would go with the 31's and save the wear on the vehicle. If you want some major Jeep project buy a CJ thats already shot to hell and then start swapping parts. Keep this YJ nice and don't start swapping parts out left and right. Remember what happened with your Dana 44 front in the TJ? You're heading that way again. I'd rather see you pull winch cable than tear apart another Jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

bI don't want a mall crawler, we don't even really have malls up here, i want a jeep that looks decent but it capable enough to tackle most trails.

The more i think about it the more big tires will help me put less stress on the jeep for the wheeling i usually do here. A lot of the wheeling in the UP requires you to be able to clear ruts and trees. My tj on 32's wouldn't clear a lot of those ruts and most of the trails we run up here have the deep ruts that require clearance. With 35's you can just idle right over the ruts or trees in the trail compared to running 32's where you are either pulling cable for the entire trail or bouncing off the rev limiter.

There's no way the fenders are comming off this jeep, i'm planning on a little trimming to make the tj flares work but that's it. The 4" spring lift is simple and nothing crazy, the 1" body lift is also simple and nothing wild at all.

My plan for the axles are an 8.8 rear (probably the simplest jeep axle swap) and running 297 non disconect axle shafts in the dana 30 probably with 4.10 gears. This is by no means like my tj's dana 44 fron. The non disco dana 30 shafts are super simple to install when you do gears, all you do is replace the current axles seals with later model dana 30 seals and make a block off plate for the vaccum disconect. I plan on ausie lockers front and rear when cash allows. This axle combo is cheep, simple, pretty strong (only real weak point is the d30 ring and pinion and smaller dana 30 shafts but not many break any where besides at the yoke which is also where 44 shafts usually break), and reliable. It's not where near the complexity of the tj's dana 44 front and it's 100 times harder to screw up.

My plans to replace the puke and go with an ax 15 and 23 spline 23 with sye. Simple, pretty much bolt in swap.

The 258 is getting, lifters, push rods, an aluminum valve cover, new valve seals and top end gaskets as we speek. Nothing fancy or out of control. Sooner or later i'll do tfi and maybe a mc 2100 though for the small amount of time the carter was on the trails it worked fine for me.

All the mods i'm planning on are simple, have been done 4 million times, and are tried and true. The jeep isn't getting crazy "extreme" mods, just sensable mods to get it through most trails. Nothing like i did on the tj, i'm not running a non flipped dana 300 in a tj (very few people had done that before me), or trying to make my own suspension brackets. I don't want a super long complex project like a whole cj build yet. I don't see how this is crazy and i'm not swapping in super crazy hard parts to swap in. I don't really see where you comming from that this jeep is heading the way of my old tj.

BarrelRoll
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 06:23 PM

Andy my cj took 4" springs, 2" body and 1" longer shackles with cutting the rear tub for TJ flares to be able to fully flex without hitting anything.

But who knows for you. Seems like all jeeps are a little different.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

That seems like gobs of lift dave but that might just be what i need. Do you run extended bump stops? I don't expect this procomp lift to have gobs of flex. I can deal with a little rubbing, heck these 235's on worn out stock springs run. I can always put on some bump stops if they are rubbing to the point they are messing up the tires.

BarrelRoll
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 06:52 PM

I have extended stops in the front only.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 06:54 PM

Whats the 44 story. I saw pictures.. but never got the story.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

I tried to swap a dana 44 infront of my tj but i cheeped it and tried to make my own brackets that really sucked and messed up a bunch of other things and just didn't do it right which is pretty much why the tj went down the ****ter.

I think my plan is now put the 4" lift, 1" body lift, tj flares, and a t-case drop on and run it now. Start saving up for a new daily driver or put the money the daily driver needs into it (probably just sell it and get another one since i'm really pushing the legal and safety limits of a 1/2 ton). Then after i have a new daily driver i'll spend the money to do the rest of the upgrades i want to do and do them the right way. It's not the end of the world if the jeep sits for a month or 2 broken, it's sat for a month while i get the time and $$ to do the engine work to it now. I have a spare set of axle shafts and a spare puke and go if either of them blow to make it last a little longer. I'd be willing to bet many people on this board ran or still run 35's on stock axles while they got the $$ to upgrade thier axles. I don't think this is always the right way to build a truck but i have the lift and tires comming for free, well part of the tj build, so i might as well put them on. Look for my kick ass not 1/2 assed yj at the badlands bash if i'm able to come this year.

BarrelRoll
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 07:37 PM
Geno

I'm sure you're aware but; You'll have to adjust steering stops. Or get the wheels out a little. My 33" 10.50 mall terains rubbed on the springs. Still considering spacers from spydertrax so i can have full turning radius.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode