Extending rear drive shaft insated on drop t-case? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Extending rear drive shaft insated on drop t-case?

I'm planning on putting on a 4" lift on my yj and don't really have the $$ for an sye and new cv rear drive shaft. I do how ever have an xj rear drive shaft that could get cut down to be the right length for a yj and then i'd just put my yj yoke back on it (since yj yokes are suposed to be longer than xj yokes). Is this a good idea or will the angle be too steep? I'd rather not drop the t-case if i can get away with it. Also Does rasing the motor 1" help much with drive line angles?

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 05:52 PM

Re: Extending rear drive shaft insated on drop t-case?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I've learned a lot from the distruction of my tj and now know how to do a lot of things the right way because i did them the wrong way on my tj, i could probably make a list of over 100 things i would do differently with out a problem. I no longer want a "wana be" hardcore rig (the direction i thought my tj was going before i realized it was beyond help) and want a rig that i'm able to drive every day, wheel most trails (how many trails at the badlands can you no get through with 31's, a locker, winch and some decent driving?) if i can't make it now that i have a decent winch (picked up a warn m8000) i can always winch through something instead of giving it 20 tries and beating the hell outa my heep, will be able to make the 6 1/2 hour road trip home with out too much trouble, and is something that is good for me to practice my wheeling skills in so maybe in 2 or 3 years when i have enough $$ and experiance i can build a decent "hardcore" trail rig the right way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will respond like Leve on this one.

1.put on that lift and tires you are going to have problems
2.with you axles
3.and driveline
4.if you half a** it
5.it doesnt sound like you learned
6.wait till you have the money to do it right
7.or you end up with another:

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Check the reply to my post about putting 35's on the yj. If i have to drop the t-case i will. This is just an idea i've thought of. The thing with running 31's that i should have realized is you can't clear the ruts and the deep snow up in the UP. Even with decent driving your still not going any where on 31's with the snow we get or the rutted trails where there's only 1 set of ruts and barely enough room for a full sized truck.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

After thinking about it i'll drop the t-case (i bet close to 1/2 the people on this board with 4" lifts have t-case drops or had t-case drops till they could afford sye's) and live with the 1" less of clearance till i can afford and sye and ax15. What i really need is a new tow rig so i think that may take top priority.

BarrelRoll
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 08:22 PM

All right

Just making sure you think about it before you do anything.

the t-case drop is probably what I would do, not try to fab somthing up, it is simple and effective for a while.

Phil [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 12:30 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Dude, you've really got to stop trying to make shortcuts. YES, the driveshaft angle will be too steep if you try to do this. This is why they invented the CV shaft and slip yoke eliminator, or they tell people to go with the drop transfer case. As was stated, go with the drop transfer case, it's simple and effective. You make it sound like it's shameful to have a drop transfer case.

I love that photo of the TJ. No offense, man, but I can't believe anyone could do that to a Jeep that's only 7 years old. Hang that in front of your computer and look at it each time you think about short-cutting that poor YJ.

Again, just my opinion.
Good luck,
Pete
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 08:59 PM

Andy........
scatching my head........

You know whats right and what needs to be done.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Isn't it alright to think out of the box every now and then, i remeber a while ago when jess (jess from high angle driveline) used to be on this board he said he offered and slip yoke cv drive shaft so i was just wondering if it was a good idea. I know This idea works on cherokee's, i have a buddy who took a shaft from an xj with a dana 35 and put it on his xj with about 6" of lift and a dana 44 rear, he said it was about an inch longer and sloved his drive line issuses, so i know it's been done, just not on a yj i guess since their drive shafs are shoreter and at a steeper angle. I was just seeing if this idea would work, there's nothing wrong with trying to save a little money here and there if it still does the job right.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 11:45 PM

I have to agree with Andy.... just a little...... a lot of these things HAVE been tried before, so there are answers out there. But there is always a different approach or solution. That is a good way to be thinking.

BUT.... chances are, if it's a SIMPLE solution, it's been done before, and you should listen to the voice of experience.

You have to "know when to say when". And you shouldn't try it every step of the way. Wheeling isn't new, you can't re-invent it overnight.

Take your time. Follow for now..... then figure things out on your own. Go your own way.....

I for one... get tired of everybody thinking Advance Adapters is the ONLY solution. Nothing against AA. But they got started by thinking on thier own. Going their own way......
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 08:05 AM

Yes, thinking outside the box is a GREAT thing. That's how new approaches get found to things. I've seen a guy with a 4.3 V6 in his jeep, and he moved the whole motor and tranny and tc forward in the Jeep like 6" (I forget exactly how much) and this allowed him to lengthen the rear driveshaft as a good approach to this problem. Also seen guys lengthen the wheelbase of the Jeep by moving the rear axle back, like 6" or more, extending the rear frame and moving the spring mounts, cutting the rear corners of the tub, etc, etc, to lengthen the rear driveshaft. Also heard that a Ford F250 front driveshaft can be used as a rear driveshaft in a YJ to get a good cheap junkyard cv shaft (I don't know the details on that one though.)

These are all good examples of out-of-the-box thinking.

The key is to know the difference between out-of-the-box thinking, and a shortcut that won't work. If you've got the time and money, sure, try your approach. Maybe you will find the 'thing' that everyone else has missed, and you will make it work. Who's to say that you won't make it work?

However, judging by the picture of the TJ, that may not be your best bet.

Follow along the path of known solutions, like everyone else, at least in this case, and go with tried and true solutions.

Good luck,
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode