swap 8 lugs to 5x5.5 ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

swap 8 lugs to 5x5.5 ?

Wondering what you guys use to swap from the Dana 60 8 lug, to the CJ 5x5.5 pattern.

I have a Dodge D60 and a 44 front with the Chevy/ Ford combo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 10:26 AM

Re: swap 8 lugs to 5x5.5 ?

To my knowledge (and I could be mistaken), there isn`t any way to convert a full float D-60 from 8 lug to 5-5 1/2 pattern using anything that will replace the original D-60 hub. I have recently seen that someone produces a 5-5 1/2 conversion kit to change front Dana 60`s to the stock 5 1/2 pattern but it was expensive. I haven`t seen anything similar to change a rear FF D-60. When I had mine built I wanted to stay with the 5-5 1/2 pattern also, so I went semi-float. My reasoning was that since I would be going to a much larger and heavier duty bearing and 1.5 in. 35 spline alloy axle`s, that would make up for the weight of the Jeep still riding on the axle. Keith Dutchman of Dutchman Motorsports that built the axle`s and installed the big bearing housing ends said that even though I`m running 4.30 gears, 35" tires and a warm 401, the posibility of a broken axle was unlikely in my `72 CJ5. It`s had 2 yrs. of abuse and shows no sign`s of problems. Although I have only $800 in my D-60 rear, I think it would be easier to convert your D-44 front to 8 lug and put the D-60 in the way it is to keep the price down on your conversion.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Aright then. What will I need for the front conversion. I have the Ford hubs and rotors and the Chevy spindles and flat knuckles.

What other Brands of trucks use the Dodge lug pattern, or are all the 8 lugs the same.

The guy I bought this from "thinks" it from a Dodge, is there a way to tell? The build date and info in the tube are gone but I can read the castings on the housing.

I paid $50 on the axle. Should I sell it and get the semi-floater?.(no bids please, yet). Semi-floater from what

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 01:54 AM
Old Hand

For the front there are two alternatives that I know of:

Warn sells their 5 on 5.5" hubs. They should use the same spindle, bearings, and lock-out hubs as a Dana 60. The bearing and brake offset might have to be figured out, but I think they have it figured out.

Also, I've seen articles where Currie takes an F450 hub and turns it down and makes it 5 on 5.5". Sounds expensive.

For the rear gradysoffroad has recently released a full floating hub that works on a Dana 60, 70 or GM 14 Bolt (those axles share the same spindle size, bearing, nuts, etc) in 5 and 6 lug patterns. It is is made with Alloy Aluminums and is set-up to work with disc brakes. It uses the rest of the stock components like shafts, spindles, etc.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 12:03 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

There's an easier way. Check out page 82 in the Feb. 2004 Jp magazine. Grady's Extreme Off-road offers T6 aluminum hubs that convert from the 8 lug to 5x5.5. The website is www.gradysoffroad.com but I can't seem to find any info on the product on their website. There is a picture in the magazine though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode