Way Outta Control
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: The Palouse
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: new steering box
1. Don't use a filter.
2. Do a flush'n fill...
3. Of the system...
4. Raise the front wheels off the ground.
5. This lessons the work the pump has to do.
6. Remove the return line from the pump.
7. Stick the line in a drain pan.
8. Start the engine.
9. Rotate the steering wheel full left to full right several times.
10. At each full lock position hold the wheel for about 5 seconds.
11. When you hear the pump sucking air
12. Stop the engine and refill the power steering reservoir.
13. Repeat the above steps 4 – 7 twice more.
14. Now the fluid should be clear and clean.
15. You may want to use some power steering cleaning chemicals,
16. Mixed with the fluid to do the first flush.