Pinion difference between D44 and AMC20? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Pinion difference between D44 and AMC20?

I've recently gone a round with my AMC20 in my 1978 CJ5.I've ended up keeping it, mainly because I already have an ARB installed.

But during my R&D time, I keep coming up with the D44 being the answer to some of my vibration problems. But every article just says the D44 has a "higher" pinion. I was hoping somebody would have a good pic/pics that demonstrate this.

I have my eye on an early CJ5 in the weeds. I don't have any use for it, as I've resolved to keep the AMC20 for now. (I'm assuming it has the D44)

But I was wondering if I should try to salvage the rear end for a "future project", and swap into my CJ5 at a later date. Plus, with new one piece axles an ARB, my AMC20 should be easier to sell.

Mine is a pavement pounder for the most part, with an occassionaly off road adventure. But when off road, I seem to put it to the test.

So, how much is actually gained by going to a D44? The AMC20 should be comparible in strength with the one piece axles, is the swap worth the time/money?

Anybody wanna add to my ramblings??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 12:10 AM

Re: Pinion difference between D44 and AMC20?

I sure seem to think the 20 is very comparable to a 44 when a few things are done to it. I put a full floater in mine/ welded the tubes (after discovering that, yes in fact you can torque the housing on a m20) and I was going to truss it, but I never got around to doing it.

I think the final straw for me was that if I was going to go to all the work of a front end, I was going to swap front and rear axles off something to keep the hunt for new gears to a minimum, and have the track widths be the same. (Same as far coming from the same vehicle, I realize front and rear track widths are different)

I was sad to take the 20 out of my jeep, it did really well.

here is the only pic of the 2 side by side I have. And no flaming about the brake line either, it was friday night fix and it never got around to fixing it right
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Thanks for posting the pic. Every pic I saw only had one or the other. It's very hard to see much improvement in the pinion, even with both of them in a pic.

I'm pretty happy with my AMC20 as well, and not in a hurry to get rid of it. But if a simple swap can help things out, then I was willing.

At this point... I'll tough it out with my 20.

Thanks again.

Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 10:17 PM

FWIW thats a scout 44. OTOH all the rear 44's I have seen have had the pinion in roughly the same spot....

The 20 is a pretty good axle. Other than it was a narrow track 20, I woulda kept mine. If there was something readily available to take the place of the 30 up front and keep the widths about the same as a narrow track cj, I would have gone that route instead.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode