How did you install the fuel pump/filter MPI ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Xburn3

How did you install the fuel pump/filter MPI ???

I am reading the directions from the Mopar MPI kit and I am just not understanding them. Obviously I need to go from the tank to the filter to the pump, then back to the main line. I am supposed to mount the pump on the center bolt of the crossmember in the rear. But from the way it sounds like I should mount it, it sounds like I would have to go from the pump all the way to the main line, probably kinking the line. Is this right? does anyone have pictures of theirs. I have looked at the write ups online and I am still not seeing how this is supposed to work. Maybe I am just retarded. Thanks for any help

SPECs: 87 Yj with 258 and 4.0 L head, MPI in the works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 07:14 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: How did you install the fuel pump/filter MPI ???

1. Did you see this?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 07:34 PM
Xburn3

yea I saw that and thats what confised me. I think that is from a CJ setup where as mine is a YJ I will try to explain it this way:

A: I assume this is the differential in this picture, not sure maybe you can enlighten me. also what is the blue wire here?
B: I assume this is where the line comes in from the fuel tank. No problem, but wouldnt this also be the same spot where the outlet line from the fuel pump would connect, since this is where the line from the tank connected to begin with?

Therefore the line out of the pump would have to cross back over and reconnect where the line from the tank mated to the Pressure line, correct?

C: And this must be where the brake line connects, but I dont have that anywhere in the crossmember area.

I guess I am just not getting it.

This whole setup mounts parallel to the bumpers ( if you were looking at from an overhead view), and perpendicular to the main chassis beams, right?

[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 08:08 PM
Aprentice

A. Differential w/ ARB airline - does not pertain to your install

B. Yes, it's the outlet line from the fuel tank.

C. Not sure - who cares, does not pertain ti your install.

1.Connect a short piece of rubber line to the fuel tank outlet, connect the other end to the fuel filter inlet side.(as shown in the picture)

2. Connect a short piece of rubber line to the outlet side of the fuel filter, connect the other end to the inlet side of the fuel pump. (as shown in the picture)

3. Connect a short piece of rubber line from the outlet side of the fuel pump to the main fuel ine that runs to the engine. This line must be rated for EFI.

On your YJ the fuel line may run up the drivers side frame rail, this may be what is confusing you. I am also unaware where the outlet line is on a YJ tank, so that may also be different. You will likely have to fab up some simple brackets to make everything fit right. Small pieces of angle iron or small aluminum blocks work well for this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 08:15 PM
Xburn3

yeah everything is on the dirvers side, thats why I am fumbling here. Its like the MPI kit goes out of the way and then comes back to the line, I dont understand why thy wouldnt just set it up so that it was all in one easy line. Looks like I am going to have to get some more hose...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 01:01 AM
Aprentice

You can set it up any way you want to, I believe the instructions were written for CJ's, but as long as it works it doesn't matter where you mount it. The important thing is to keep it as close to the tank as possible, but you could mount it on the frame rail or something similar.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 08:39 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

"Its like the MPI kit goes out of the way and then comes back to the line, I dont understand why thy wouldnt just set it up so that it was all in one easy line."

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but basically, you are replacing that entire section of hard fuel line with the new pump/filter setup. You dont have to loop the outlet hose back to where you started. Maybe this helps?

to engine [ all hard line ] from tank

to engine [ hose, pump, hose, filter, hose ] from tank

Whatever length your pump, filter, and small chunks of hose to hook them together take up, is the amount of hard fuel line you need to remove. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 08:49 AM
Can't Get Enough

May I also suggest replacing the pickup line. Or, skip all this pump, and purchase an intank pump and install it. You will be eliminating any chance of fuel starvation when this high pressure pump colapses the pickup hose under suction. Then you can forget about this pump.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Xburn3

Re: How did you install the fuel pump/filter MPI ?

Wy would the MPi collapse the hose at the tank, I didnt think it was pressurized until the line hit the pump? I think understand the flow of how its supposed to run, what I didnt get is where they suggest to mount it, it crosses fom the drivers side over the crossmember to the passengers, then needs to go back to the drivers side. I'll look at mounting it on the drivers side frame rail, if not I will try to get hard line and route it...somehow
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 10:34 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: How did you install the fuel pump/filter MPI ?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Wy would the MPi collapse the hose at the tank,

[/ QUOTE ]1. There is a section of "Flexible" line,
2. Connecting the sender to the hard fuel line.
3. It's not inconceivable the line could collapse,
4. If it's weak, or kinked.
5. If it's a concern,
6. Use sectioned, formed hard line.
7. The problem with that,
8. Is there has to be some strain relief,
9. For dropping the tank.
10. The tank's attached to the frame,
11. As is the fuel line,
12. Vibration relief should not be a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode