Way Outta Control
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: The Palouse
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Some newbie questions
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The tailpipe residue is definately velvety and i'm wondering what you guys mean by being to rich?
[/ QUOTE ]1. The Computer is requesting too much fuel.
2. It's being dumped into the cylinders,
3. But NOT Being completely combusted.
4. That's a Rich condition.
5. Now, you've got to find out why it's running rich.
6. That means pulling computer codes,
7. Checking you're emissions sensors[*]02 sensors[*]MAF/MAS sensors[*]Coolant Temperature Override sensor[*]TPS sensor[*]Idle Speed Motor
8. Those are the items that make up the heart of the management system.
9. You'll need a manual and a VoltMeter...
10. And start test things out! </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I dont get how I can lose that much oil with no visible leaks and without the engine smoking like a freight train
[/ QUOTE ]11. Yes, that does seem excessive,
12. Start watching for oil being blown out at engine start up,
13. And watch your coolant level,
14. Then also look for leaks around the engine...
15. You may have to clean it off before you'd ever see it...
15. Oil doesn't just disappear,
16. It's either[*]Leaked[*]Combusted[*]Ingested, and NOT combusted[*]leaked into the crankcase.
17. There ain't many other places it can go.
18. The plugs aren't oil fouled,
19. So that rules out ingested in the cylinders.
20. So start looking for a leak...