Possible cracked block? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Possible cracked block?

Finally got the heep back on the road, w/ all working lights, etc, etc. Well, now i notice coolant coming from near the water pump, but the only thing is, the water pump, gasket, and lower hose and clamp are all brand new. My question is has anyone ever heard of or experienced the block cracking near that location? Is it possible that the block is cracked, or am I overlooking something small. I'm taking it to a shop soon, I'm busy w/ school and have no where to work on it. What kind of shop should I take it to to have it diagnosed? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Possible cracked block?

1. Did you use sealant,
2. On the water pump bolts?
3. Did you over-torque the bolts?
4. Has the sealant failed?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 08:36 AM

Like LEVE said. Don't guess.........go look. I bet it's leaking where you put the new pump on. Or could even be a new pump that failed. (even more so if it's one of the cheapie autozone(or whatever discount store) ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 08:55 AM

It's a good chance a gasket is messed up or a hose clamp isn't tight. When you put the t-stat in did you put the thermostat into the housing then put the gasket in? My buddy just had that happen to his blazer and it leaked pretty good. The easiest way to check is to turn your engine on, open the hood and see if you can see where it's leaking from.

If you don't see any leaks go to auto zone and rent a coolant pressure tester, they go on the raiator cap and you pump them up a couple pumps (i can't remember the psi but they usually have it marked on the gauged), it pressurizes your cooling system and you can see exactly where it's leaking. It should take maybe a minuet to diagonise and i'd say it's probably about a 95% chance it's either a messed up gasket or a hose clamp that just isn't tight enough. If it's a hose clamp it should take 30 seconds to fix, a t-sat gasket is either 1 or 2 hose clamps and 2 bolts, pull the old gasket off, clean it off, put the t-stat in, put the paper gasket on, slap some rtv on tighten her up and call her done.

Is your jeep sitting in missouri or IL? If it's in missiouri does it even get much colder than 32*? Are you running 50/50 antifreez water in there? If it isn't below 32* (probably has to get much colder than that) and your running 50/50 you block shouldn't have cracked yoiur block just sitting there. Post back and let us know what it is. If you are too lazy to open your hood and look i'd say take it to a general repair shop that does everything from oil changes to engine re-builds though i know the merlins i worked at did have a coolant pressure tester.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode