idle fluctuates, plugs are fouling fast...ideas??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 06:04 AM
rebearth

idle fluctuates, plugs are fouling fast...ideas???

Less than 12,000 miles ago, I put new plugs, rotor and cap, all premium from NAPA. I also adjusted the timing because I brought the jeep from high altitude to sea level. The carb was rebuilt about 15,000 miles ago. It just wasn't running right - tended to stall when pulling to a stop at intersections. Turning the key wouldn't restart it - I actually had to tap the accelerator to get it to start. The fuel pump works, fuel filter clear, float chamber is full and the jets work. I pulled the plugs and found them to be severely fouled, appearing blistered with a white/grey hard substance bridging the gap (some plugs worse than others). The stuff comes off with a file or screwdriver. I adjusted the timing a smidge - clockwise. It seemed to run better, though at idle, the rpms would fluctuate - sometimes in the 500-800 range, others in the 900-1100 range. I cantell when it starts getting bad, because the jeep tends to stall out more often. I pulled the plugs for the third time (only about 300miles on them) and had two plugs with severe build up on them. I'm considering an ignition upgrade, or at least a "Nutter" fix, but I'd like to solve these problems before I do too much tweaking. Any ideas????

At altitude, the idle mixture screws had been leaned out, possibly too far, since the tailpipe was no longer black. Have since richened it up a bit. Also, it's a 258 with 40,000 on a complete rebuild, 165,000 total. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 06:15 AM

Re: idle fluctuates, plugs are fouling fast...ideas???

Do you still have the high-altitude jumper wire connected??
With the BBD, you also need to check all of the vacuum lines for leaks, and check out "the usual culprits" the EGR, and 02 sensor. This is a start point only.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 11:29 AM
rebearth

Re: idle fluctuates, plugs are fouling fast...ideas???

I have replaced ALL of the vacuum hoses (would like to find a way to eventually get rid of all that w/o stinkin' up the air). I also pulled the EGR valve off, cleaned out the carbon (roughly 1/3 build up), and checked its' condition. It appeared to be functioning normally. As for the O2 sensor...the metering pins on the stepper motor move - I thought that I read somewhere that if they were moving while running, the O2 sensor was working. It did get a new front pipe (the old one cracked near the sensor) which helped a little at the time with the idle. Yes, the altitude jumper wire is still connected - will it make that big of a difference?? Still not sure exactly which one it is, but this site had some info that I'll usre to try to determine which one it is. Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode