axle and lift ideas for the 5 looking for input - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

axle and lift ideas for the 5 looking for input

ok, the motor is just about finished, a couple of final touches then off to get the exhaust done.

the next project is going to be the cage, but i'd like to keep my eyes out for parts for the future...

to start with, the jeep...

78 cj-5 360 with some work done to it (.040 over, comp cams 262 grind RV cam, 9.0 to 1, completely redone heads with a little special treatment, edelbrock performer intake, quadrajet, TR conversion with MSD6), 11" clutch with t-150 for now through mod 20 xcase. it has 31's on it now and i probably wont go bigger than 33 or 34's. i usually go slow and easy, but have been known to tap the skinny pedal from time to time. mostly moderate trails, some rocks, and some mud (a bit of everything i suppose). anyway...

i am kind of torn between keeping the model 20 rear and doing the one piece axles with the full floater kit and ARB or OX. if i do that i will go SUA 4 or 4.5" with a 1" body.

or...

find an 8.8 or 9 inch and go SOA

or...

find a nice set of 1 ton axles and try to squeeze them SOA under the 5.

i am kind of a traditionalist and this jeep is in really good shape so i would like to avoid any cutting on the body or drastic changes (though i could probably go for some tube fenders in the future). i am really inclined to build the heck out of the 20 and call it a day. so i guess what i'm really asking is is it possible to build a 20 to stand up to this jeep with a somewhat aggressive driver behind the wheel or should i forget about the 20 and start looking while i finish the other stuff?

thanks,

-web
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 02:51 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: axle and lift ideas for the 5 looking for input

I think you can build the 20 to handle your motor, but the 30 up front will give you problems.
1. It wont be strong enough and will cost some $$ to get it close.
2. It's narrow track right? Most of the 9 inchers and 8.8s people swap in are close to wide track width so if you went that route you'd have to change the front anyhow.
3. The narrow track will start to anoy you by rubbing tires on the leaf springs as you get into 33" and up tires. You'll either have to replace it, get some super offset wheels, or spacers to get by. The latter two can screw up your steering geometry.
I would look for a set of wide track width D44s or at least a matched D20 D30 to build. My .02 [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 07:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I would agree, the 20 can built to be about as strong or stronger than a D44, but your front may leave some to be desired. And if you are going to change the front then you mise well change the rear axle too, so you can go a little wider. I would look for a set of D44s or a couple 9inchers.
You would have to do a LOT of work on full size axles, and if you are only going to run 34" tires, there is no need for you to have one ton axles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 07:43 AM

try to find an AMC 20HD rear (one piece shafts) with a D44 front.......my buddy brent on this bbs just picked that combo up and he is going with the same kind of build-up that you are.........SOA with 33-35's on a 76'(?) cj-5......good luck

heres is bbs name mbalbritton

later
john [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 07:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Ya, i'mgoing AMC20 HD Waggy rear cause it was FREE with the purchace of a D44 front off another Waggy.

As for the D30 front holding 33/34".. sure why not... from all I've heard the D30 will handle up to like 36's with out a problem. I'm mean to a point, if you get traction and power combined, you can bust a D30, D44, D60... whatever.... like you said, you're easy on the gas for the most part...

brent
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Re: axle and lift ideas for the 5 looking for inpu

thanks all, that's pretty much what i was thinkin.

if i go with the hd 20 does it have the same guts as the regular 20, ie will a locker out of a narrow 20 fit an hd 20?

-web
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode