Sell my hard top and doors or not? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Sell my hard top and doors or not?

So today some guy was at my shop buying some parts from me and asked if i'd sell my hard top and hard doors off my YJ. I have a soft top for it allready (though it needs a new zipper and some hardware) and would need to get some soft doors for it. It had the hard top on it when i got it and i actually wasn't minding it on the road though i had one on the old tj and hated it on the trail. I can't decide if i should sell it or not. I was thinking about starting a savings account to put money into for a new truck and selling the top and doors should get me started on the new truck fund. The jeep isn't my daily driver (it hasn't even been on the road since new years though i finally ordered the parts to fix it today) and i've got a blazer blower motor to put in the YJ to help. I honestly don't know how much i'll drive this jeep while i'm up at school.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 06:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Sell my hard top and doors or not?

Just my experience, I sold my 95 YJ because I could not stand to drive long distances in it, My feet would freez. I still believe if I would have had a hard top I would still own that jeep. I have a similar problem. Every summer I contemplate selling my hard top on my tj and getting a soft top. then I remember selling my 95 and change my mind... I needed the extra warmth here in southeaster IN I would imagine you would need it more in UP. Best of luck but I say keep it....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 06:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

sell the top, keep the doors. the hard doors make ALL the difference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

After my latest experiance of driving the yj to the badlands it will be on a trailer for any long distance wheeling trips and most local wheeling up here is under an hour away. I honestly doubt i'll drive it on long road trips. I can't decide what i want to do, starting a fun for a new truck would be really nice since my ford is on it's last legs. I guess i could always wait till my truck takes a dump to sell the top and doors.

BarrelRoll
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 11:49 PM

Concur with Elusive...it's Jan 30th and my top is in my yard but my doors keep me warm in the morning. In North Carolina my top was a godsend because it rained 6 days a week but here in AZ the top is useless...so...if anyone wants a YJ/CJ-7 top let me know.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 08:21 AM

I'm with the sell the top crowd.
As for the doors.....now thats up to you. They are harder for me to part with. The last set I had I had to take off my jeep when the guy came to get them. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 02:03 PM
Enthusiast

Man... I wouldn't part with my hardtop or doors but my wife always said I was a big baby.

Scott
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 08:01 PM

All depends on what you use it for. Since your not driving it on the road anymore I guess you really don't need them. But should you ever need to drive it for some reason, it will be mighty cold without them. There's times I think about getting a hard top, but there's no way I will part with the 1/2 doors.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 08:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
There's times I think about getting a hard top, but there's no way I will part with the 1/2 doors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never quite integrated why the hardtop wasn't available if you had half doors. It may look a little strange ..but I can't figure how they wouldn't work the same. My wife's TJ is a dual top ..the soft top is the same no matter which top you get ...and you don't do anything different whether it's a full door or a half door (my TJ has half doors).

That is, I don't see why you can't use a hardtop with the half doors ..that is, besides some odd looks from those who know that you shouldn't have it in that combo....

Does anyone know of any other reason that you can't use a hardtop with the half doors (waiting for the "DUH" type thing to happen)???
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

I've seen the hard top and 1/2 doors with soft uppers thing done and it worked on a tj. I'd love a set of 1/2 doors. Maybe i'll see if i can find a set, a new truck would be really really nice to replace my current beater.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode