Cost of transporting a Jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Cost of transporting a Jeep

I seek some advise and input from those here who have bought Jeeps that were not necessarily in your back yard.
I live on the East coast, (in VT) and I have found a Jeep that I am interested in buying... Only real catch is that the Jeep is in CO. Way out west. However the price is right. It is a lot of jeep, for a little money.

My question is... How is the best way to get this jeep to my driveway, how have others done it.

I think the cheapest way would probably be to drive out there with a truck and tow the Jeep back.
Does anyone know.. Can you flat tow a rig that is not inspected, or registured?
If I had a truck I would do this, and I may see if I can borrow a truck. But say that I can't. What are the best options to look into as far as moving this jeep (that doesn't run) From CO to the east coast.
Thanks for any help and suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 08:27 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Cost of transporting a Jeep

I am in the process of having my CJ hauled from IL to AZ. The cheapest auto transport company I could find will do it for 700.00. Alot of money....yes. But worth it to me not to have to spend the time (3 days each way) plus gas, motels etc flat towing it out here. The company will pick it up at my house in IL and deliver it to my house in AZ. BTW, my bids ranged from a high of 950.00 to a low of 695.00, it pays to shop around.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 09:11 AM
Enthusiast

Cost to haul my CJ from California to Virginia was $700.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the info on shipping. Those numbers are actually a little lower than I though. One thing comes to mind. Do these companies requir that the rig they are transporting to be insured?

Another Idea that I have come up with would be to fly out there to CO, and rent a U-haul with a car dolly to get the jeep home. Has anyone ever done this? How does the cost compare to the 7-8 hundred for shipping? The plane ticket would probably be a lot but I won't consider that. Has anyone rented a U-haul for a cross country trip with a car dolly?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 11:25 AM

Well if you want to fly to CO, you've also got to find a Uhaul at the airport. For what it's worth a cheap air line just opened up with a hub in CO (Denver DNV) Jet Blue
http://www.jetblue.com

I think they were about $73 one way.

Then you've got:

Cost to get to Uhaul
Payment and deposit, not sure how the car haulers work
Lodging
Food
Gas
Tolls

.. and thats if everything goes well.

I think at best it will cost the same as a transportation service. With 100% less hassle. My $.02

Also,
A friend of mine and I got a Dodge RC up in Rutland and decided to drive it back to RI. Vermont law let us leave with it, and no issues till we got to the middle of Mass, and the police were not happy with us. RC was impounded for a few days while we process the reg info.

Point of the story, there are also all of the states you will pass on your journey back. Plus if anything happens (in my case always does) You have the potential to repeat most to all of the journey if you run into any "legal intanglements" Albeit, you'd be towing it, but still. For what it's worth. To be safed you'd have to check all the legalities on your way back.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 11:30 AM

Is it this jeep you're looking at :-)?
http://www.geocities.com/co_big_chee...2commando.html

Regardless, my dad (selling the jeep above) had a 70 Jeepster shipped from NC to CO for less than $700 I think last summer. I had a CJ shipped from WI to CO for $500 (but a friend hooked me up with a great deal). I think you're in the right ball park at $700-$800. But consider whether it is lifted, has oversize tires, etc... those all can affect the price.

What I did was go to Yahoo and search for car haulers. You can get about 10 quotes back in a few hours (via email) based on the two given locations.

Personally, if it was me.... I'd ship it. Unless you really want to see it before buying it. I bought my CJ sight unseen, but with digital pictures these days, it's almost like being there.

$$ for a plane ticket
$$ for gas (V8....)
$$ for food/lodging
vacation time...

What is your time worth?

Did I mention driving through the midwest isn't all it's cracked up to be?

As far as insurance, you don't have to have it insured to haul it (they either carry or offer insurance to you), or likely to drive it. I believe once you purchace it, and notify your insurance company you're OK.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 11:53 AM
Enthusiast

When my mom-in-law died, we had to go to North Carolina to get her stuff. I wound up driving all the way back to California with a loaded U-Haul and a car on a car trailer. It wound up costing about $900 with the rental and the gas. Not to mention the cost of the air fare, or the hotels and food. Auto transport is the way to go. No, it does not need to be insured or registered. They will deliver to your front door. They will charge extra if it doesn't run.

As was mentioned, call around for the best price. It generally takes about 2 weeks for the vehicle to arrive, depending on how far it has to go to get to you.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
rent a U-haul with a car dolly

[/ QUOTE ]

Or just rent a U-haul. [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 12:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I paid $700 to get my wifes jeep from my address in coastal North Carolina to my address in south western California. call around and get lots of quotes. when you get a cheap one, ask the other companies if they can beat the price. I thought $700 was a steal for what we got.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 01:13 PM

I'm with the people thinking an auto transporter is your best bet. Flat towing a jeep through the mountains and what not no matter what your towing with i wouldn't expect to get more than 10mpg as much fun as the road trip could be once you factor in all the costs the auto transporter seems like a screeming good deal.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode