Cj 5 lift opinions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Cj 5 lift opinions

I will admit up front I have good knowledge of most things about a tj, but am a little behinde when it comes to CJ's

I have been slowly working on a guy's jeep for part time income. I try to do it for free but he insists on paying me. So far it has been just body work and building bumpers, some minor engine stuff. So the other day he is talking about a lift and I had to admit that I knew very little about cj lifts. So I come to you my knowledge base... Looking for a been there done that opinion.

He wants a lift that will easily clear 33 12.50's and maintain a good ride on the road.

I have looked at various kits and he does not want to lift anymore than necessary to get good clearance on the 33" tires

So what kits do you recomend, and what kind of back space will he need to run the 12.50's in the cj.

He is also looking for Ideas on how to make it a capable trail rig that he can also drive to work.

Any suggestions would be appriciated...

OH, I searched found some good info but most seem to want to run 35's

Tia Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 05:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Cj 5 lift opinions

what year?
I have a 75 and the frame is narrower, allowing for the 12.5 to sit further under the Jeep and not stick out so far, and still not rub the springs. A friend has a 78 and his 12.5's rub the leafs at full lock.

2.5" spring lift will clear 33's for on road use, or even a 2" body (they may even fit w/o a lift). If he's going to wheel he needs 4"'s in my opinion.

The spring lift is easy (I have one) but I wish I went spring over.

Skyjacker rides nice.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

It is a 78

Concern about spring over is all the problems that come with it and the overalll expense
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Jeff, on my '77 I'm running around 4 inches of spring lift and 1 inch body lift. I've got 33x12.5's and they rub on the springs at full lock and it really annoys me. I wish the PO had used a different backspacing on the wheels........though I'm not sure what they are now.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 08:07 PM

You are gonna want a 4". Less will rub, and even if wheeled hard with the "right" tires and backspace 4" will too.
(no clue on backspace)
But think 4".

As far as ride, most cheapie lifts ride hard. So keep that in mind. (and once again.....I like my skyjacker softride.....lol) But on a 5 almost all lifts are kinda stout as far as a smooth ride. (is there such a thing as a good ride on a 5? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 09:29 PM
Veteran

i always tell people who whine about the ride in my cj's that if i wanted a smooth ride i'd have a caddy

if i keep my model 20 and beef it i will probably go 4 or 4.5 spring with a 1" body and either SJ or RE, now if i can find some axles for a decent price (after i'm done paying for this engine swap, and doing a cage) then i'll probably go SOA and figure it out from there. since i'm probably just going to run 33's i may just keep the mod 20 and do some work to it thought and keep the jeep SUA with 4 or 4.5. yeah, i'm sure that didn't help any [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-web
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 04:03 PM

DD, the best ride for a 5 is on a trailer with air suspension!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Looks like it will take some talking cause He thinks 4" would be to high.... I will see what happens. When this body work is done I may be tired of working on it anyway.

What other additions would you recomend?? Any sterring components that aid stability? Greesable shackles?? New bushings ball joints ect in the front?? What are the common handling problems on the cj5??

He is telling me when he hits a bump it darts around. I cannot find anything obviously loose, and after all it has a shorter narrower wheelbase than my tj...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 11:11 PM
Enthusiast

I have a 74 CJ5 with a spring over... I tell everyone that its my best mod and also my worst mod... From what I am hearing I would rule it out due to complexity and overall need.

I agree with the overall consensus here that 4 inches is about right... Nice suspension lift and tiny body lift...

Perhaps a shackle reversal kit might be a though...

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode