38s on D44s? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

38s on D44s?

Im running a front D44 with alloy shafts (inners and outters), Chevy knuckles and spindles, Ford hubs/brakes and Ox joints. My rear is the same D44 with alloy shafts also.

My Q is, I have a friend that wasnts to dump his 38 TSLs. Im not real hard on the skinny pedal, and Im wondering if I will be able to run these w/o going to D60s
If Im wrong here, please let me know.

Thanks as always guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 02:53 PM

Re: 38s on D44s?

You should probably be alright, there are plenty of people runn 38's on d44's with warns and ctms making them live. The rear might be alright might not. If i were you i'd run the tires and carry a spare set of shafts. Your ring and pinion will be the next weak point.

Barrelroll
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 07:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree with 99XJ 100%, there is no real way of knowing until you just try it. Throw the tires on and carry a full set of spair axles, and have fun. The D44 is a pretty strong axle, but there are always exceptions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 10:34 AM

Depends on how often you get the front wedged or how much you drive off-camber,,,,,,this is when the 44's ball joints let go with "big" tires.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 07:39 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I know a lot of people running 38's on D44's, with no problems. I've heard your reputation for wheeling (it was positive), and I think you'll be fine with them. I know guys running 38's on D30's and not breaking anything, but they're easy on the gas and also know how to wheel.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 12:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

One question came to me after thinking about this. What kind of power are you going to be throwing at these tires. Are you running V8 power, and what about Transmission. Are you running a standard or auto. Does it have a crawl gear. I would say that if you are running a Jeep 4.0 or a really mild V8 with a normal trans then you will be ok if not using a lot of the stupid pedle. But if you are running a really strong V8 with a super low gear and you are going to be running huge rocks. Your chances of breaking are better.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 06:50 PM

A guy in our club runs 38" tsls on a D30 front and Model 20 rear. The front end has the warn shafts and the rear has moser 1 piece. He has a 360 and auto tranny, but is easy on the gas and I dont think he has had problems with breakage.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 07:35 PM

If your easy on the pedal and don't have a high HP rig you should be fine. Lots of guys run that combo. AND you have them beefed up more than most. So go for it.
Other than I'm a big wuss........(NO COMMENTS FROM A BUNCH OF YOU -you know who you are- OR I'LL DELETE ALL YOUR POSTS [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) but I have done a fair (well so-so) job of keeping 20 2pc axles and a 30 alive with 35's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode