I need some input on a water problem with a YJ.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 01:49 AM
Twiterpated1966

I need some input on a water problem with a YJ....

I have a 91 YJ with the 4.0, and i recently added a modification which contains the oil that escapes through the valve cover instead of sogging up my air filter. Works great! But..... I seem to have a lot of moisture collecting in this canister also. It isn't coolant, but just water. ?? Now my oil is starting to get that "foamy" look to it. Any suggestions on what is causing it and how to remedy it? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 08:34 AM

Re: I need some input on a water problem with a YJ....

Is it foamy in the can or the engine?
The can is semi normal. A very little bit on the oil cap of the engine seems to be normal around me too. But only a little bit. Any more than that might be a problem. (or some oils seem to be worse than others for this too)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 08:51 AM
Badcattledog

Re: I need some input on a water problem with a YJ

I had this problem with my 2.5. I think it is called blow-by.
After changing all the filters and PVC I took the hose to the air cleaner and extended it. Ran it down the side of the motor, like the old road tubes. No more water or foam. PVC stays clean. Not the best for the EPA but worked. 90YJ 03TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 12:13 PM

Re: I need some input on a water problem with a YJ

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I took the hose to the air cleaner and extended it. Ran it down the side of the motor, like the old road tubes.

[/ QUOTE ]

That can do more than cause apoplexy with the EPA gendarmes.

The road tubes were more properly called "road draft tubes" because the forward motion of the car produced a low pressure at the bottom of the tube, creating a draft which pulled blow by out of the engine, and clean air in through the oil filler cap, which had a filter in it.

With a PCV system, the flow is from the air cleaner through the hose into the engine, and from the valve cover through the PCV valve and into the intake manifold.

At high throttle openings, the blowby can overwhelm the PCV valve, and the excess goes out the intake hose to the air cleaner, which is causing your problem. But at other times that hose you've run down to the bottom of your engine is sucking unfiltered, dust-laden air straight into the valve cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode