High steer alternatives? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

High steer alternatives?

I am putting a '77 Wagoneer D44 in my CJ7. I have purchased a set of chevy knuckles. One of them is setup for a hi-steer arm. I am planning to use the Waggy tie-rod, and then make a home made drag-link to fit between the single hi-steer arm and the pitman. This will save me money because I don't have to shorten the tie-rod, and I only have to but one high steer arm. Is anyone running a similar setup? I think this is a decent alternative becasue I will have good steering geometry and the tie-rod isn't any lower than the axle tube. All chevy are like this, but they use a different steering arm and pitman.

Later,
Tom

PS Anyone have a Chevy drag link laying around?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 07:32 PM

Re: High steer alternatives?

If the Chevy arm is much longer than the stock Jeep arm, you might not get full steering lock.

And even though it's above the axel tube, the tie rod is still in front of the axel where it can get clobbered. In the stock setup it gets a little protection from the springs and stuff. In a SOA it will be more exposed.

FYI, Dodge attaches the steering to the driver side flat top knuckle. If you can find one of those you might be able to do full high steer without having the Chevy knuckle drilled and tapped.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Hey JimLou,

I am going to use a stock CJ/YJ/TJ pitman arm. The Chevy driver's is already tapped and milled because they use a steering arm setup similar to the Dodge. I am going to use a standard hi-steer arm and a short drag link between the pitman and histeer arm. The only real downside is the low tie-rod. I have a complete hi-steer setup on my Scrambler and it cost me a bundle. I am looking for a less expensive alternative. I can always go complete hi-steer later but I am going to try this configuration out and see if the tie-rod is really an issue.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 06:06 AM

Do you mean that you're going to run a drag link from the pitman arm to the driver side high-steer arm? I don't think that's a good idea. It was discussed here a couple of months ago. You should find that thread and see how it turned out.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

That is correct. I will look for the thread.

Thanks,
Tom
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Jim_Lou,

Is this the post?
http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s...Number=1204292

I can't believe the amount of things I forget.....

I don't really see in there where anyone thinks it is a problem but you. I am thinking that I will have to turn my pitman 90degrees so that it will rotate front to back. That is the way the Chevys work. I just have to see if everything will line up with the pitman and Chevy steering arm. I am a few days away from getting it mocked up. I will take some pics.

Later,
Tom
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 11:17 AM

Tom, my only reservation about your idea is that the drag link could be pretty short. That can cause bump steer problems, even if the drag link is in proper alignment with the suspension in its static-load position.

In the thread I remember, the plan was to leave the pitman arm in its stock orientation, and run the drag link straight over to the steering arm on the front of the knuckle. It was a trail-only rig, and bump steer wasn't thought to be too worrisome.

If you're going to run the drag link fore and aft, it might be long enough to void my concerns. But I would think that more travel and a shorter drag link could be dicey. The combination might also cause joint angularity problems.

I throw all this out not to say it's a bad idea or that it won't work; just saying that it's something you should have figured out before you start. And apparently you're doing just that.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the advice. I will post some pics when I start mocking it up.

Later,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode