Solid Tranny mount? Good, Bad, or indifferent - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Solid Tranny mount? Good, Bad, or indifferent

I have broken two tranny mounts for my t-18 in the Commando. I know there are poly mounts available, but if I am not worried about vibration, could I just build a solid mount?
I am thinking 2" box steel mounted to the tranny in the middle and extended about 6" on each side onto the skidplate. This could work as a torque arm too. It would be bolted to the skidplate and the plate would be reinforced.

What do you guys think?
Seems like it would be strong and easy to build. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1251765-Tranny mount.jpg (12.9 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 03:28 PM

Re: Solid Tranny mount? Good, Bad, or indifferent

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think something's going to break, soon. Fatigue will eat that up like a bowl of Kibble.

My 258-T18 combo is 25 years old, and I've used up about 3 transmission mounts, and those were when I had to cut half of the back side away to clear the PTO. You've got to figure out why they're going bad.

And the stock torque link looked useless to me - there was so much slack in the bushings that the engine would have to rock about 45* before it would even come into play. I tossed it with the second motor mount, 20 years ago, and never put it back.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

I know I have some axle wrap that will be solved when I build a wrap bar, but I don't know why else it would be breaking them.
It is a Scout T-18/dana 300 combo and it was chained to the factory crossmember when I got the Jeep. I put in a CJ skidplate and a stock tranny mount, but it has never had a torque arm.
What would start breaking with my proposed setup?
I thought that if it was held in place tighter, it would flex less and not move in the mounts as much. I want it to be still to help with the stupid clutch linkage that is anchored to the frame and the bellhousing. (Want to go hydraulic, but no $$$$) [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 11:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I know the shock loads are different in drag cars than with off roaders, but every race car I've seen that the owner solid mounted the trans, cracked the case. Even with solid motor mounts or motor plates, you should use a 'soft' trans mount. Rubber or urethane.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 01:30 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Instead of just bolting that tube for the mount to the skid plate, weld some tubes at each end for poly spring bushings to fit into, weld some tabs on the skid- you won't get much stronger! Just don't get the trans mount stiffer than the motor mounts...or something will give from the torque twist....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 05:39 PM

What would start breaking with my proposed setup?

[/ QUOTE ]

In short, the weakest point.

The horizontal bar where it bolts to the transmission might be the first to go. If you use a thicker bar, then it might break where it bolts to the skid plate. Or if the bar is really stiff, the skidplate might break out around the bolt holes.

To solid-mount a power plant, the whole setup has to be so stiff that nothing will flex. If it does flex, the area that flexes will fatigue and break. The one way to do it might be to use a spring for the tranny mount bar, but then it's not really a solid mount.

Fatigue damage is nasty business. The cracks are usually hairline with no displacement, so theyre hard to see. And it takes only a tiny amount of bending to cause fatigue damage. Probably a fourth of the off-the-street welding jobs in my shop are fatigue repairs. One of the most common failures is lawnmowers with stamped steel housings, where the motor mount bolts have a spider web of little cracks radiating out from them. Often the cracking is so bad that the motor will almost fall out.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 05:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Uglyjeep, I tried hard mounting the T-18 like your pic shows. It lasted about an hour on the trail. It needs to be able to flex a little. I went poly and have been ok for a few trips.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 05:46 PM

if it was held in place tighter, it would flex less and not move in the mounts as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 'as much' is the root of the problem. If it moves any, something will fatigue crack.

I want it to be still to help with the stupid clutch linkage that is anchored to the frame and the bellhousing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of CJs have that clutch bellcrank linkage, and it works fine. It might be better to get the linkage working properly. What's the matter with it?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 01:02 PM
jumpinNrollin

Don't solid mount it. Find out what is wrong and why the Tranny mount is taking all the movement. Most likely you have a bad or wornout motor mount and the whole drive train is twisting under load. Maybe...Maybe not... That is what I would check.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Okay. You guys have shown me the light.
I may make the mount with the spring bushings on either end and replace the motor mounts with poly. That should help.
Thanks. I will get some pics when I get it done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode