ax-15 and clutch install court case? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 01:42 PM
stephen001

ax-15 and clutch install court case?

new to this. excuse improper post if it is. '90 wrangler went in 09/10 just got it back 01/17. $1,000 for new clutch (wasn't the problem - u-turn to the shop) plus $1900 to rebuild my ax-15 5spd. drove it 5 miles before getting towed back to shop. stick moves but only get 3rd? or 4th? gear when in the neutral position. (obviously somethings wrong). back at the shop.
My new approach - small claims court. My question(s) 1. what does the book say re. the hours/time involved in both jobs (can't be 4 1/2 months). Where should i look for estimated parts/labor costs for such a job.
I'm border line broke because of this bs artist mechanic and got nowhere when i approached him regarding my concerns.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 01:59 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: ax-15 and clutch install court case?

Steven, you haven't completed your profile. Small Claims laws vary from state to state, so without your profile we can't tell where you're from and what laws apply.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 05:01 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Welcome to the BBS, there is a lot of good info here, but like upalittle mentioned, the laws vary from state to state so it's hard to answer your question correctly. Don't be afraid to fill in your profile, we're all family here, no one's going to razz you for anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 05:39 PM
stephen001

Sorry about that folks. just added to my profile. the service station in question is in Nassau County, Long Island, NY.
In more detail - mechanic replaced the clutch ($1,000) because it wasn't shifting properly. After BS'ing me about how it was 80% better (it was not) he sent it off to a tranny shop. their story (relayed) was that 2nd and 3rd gear of the 5spd was bad because water had infiltrated and or incorrect fluid was used at some point. ($1,984) for the rebuild. He claimed the shifting problem (which I brought in right away) supposedly damaged my clutch with only 15k on it and that was why he replaced it originally. So now where am I? - It was towed back to the shop and no doubt this will go on even longer. Nearing the 5 month mark I have already paid $500 in insurance w/o the use of my jeep. missed 2 snowstorms already!!!
Thanks again and any advice is appreciated.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 08:03 PM

$3000 seems like a lot of money to be sinking into an AX-15. And then for it not to work...that just sucks. Check the Better Business Bureau and see if there are any other complaints against him. And yes, look into small claims. The other thing to do is call him every day or stop there every day and see how he's going to make it right. And he replaced the clutch BEFORE fixing the transmission, thinking that replacing the clutch would fix the shifting problem? Something just isn't right with this guy.

Ken Linzmeyer
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 11:26 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Wow, you're definitely getting hosed.

A thin clutch can make it harder to shift, I've had the same thing before, but the AX-15 is known for having a notchy 2nd, worse when it's cold out, and it's been VERY cold lately.

The wrong fluid can ruin a tranny, as can water, but usually not suddenly, if I am reading your last post correctly. If it was very hard to get into gear, like 2nd and 3rd, then it's normal with the temps we've had, which were sub-zero up here. I know you get similar weather down there. The measure that seems to help the most is switching to synthetic fluid, it'll help it, but won't cure the issue. As far as I know it's indicative of the tranny.

Help me out here, why is the new clutch damaged now?

There is a guy on the ZUK BBS named Crowhorse, great guy, who also lives in Long Island, he may know of a more reputable shop that can help you out.

If I am reading your post wrong, I apologize and feel free to straighten me out.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 11:36 PM
I Do This For The Glory

OK, I just re-read your first post.

So you had one gear when it was in neutral? That's a new one on me. I did manage to snap off the bottom of the shifter while wheeling one day, but it was apparent. Maybe the tranny did need a rebuild, but auto's usually go for $2K, not sticks. But, the $1K clutch job was definitely getting taken to the cleaners, especially if it's now "toast".

How does it drive now? What is it doing? I know you don't have it, but you mentioned taking it out. What does the tranny guy say caused the clutch to die so suddenly?

As to the costs, I'd call a few dealerships and ask for the time the books say it takes to do the job. They have it all set before them and I have found they're decent about giving out that information.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 02:20 AM
stephen001

thanks for info thus far.
the chronolgy- shifting difficulty happened in Sept (not cold weather). clutch was replaced for $1,000 this took a month (no joke). returned immediately because problem was not corrected. told the problem was beyond his area of knowledge and sent the car to a tranny shop. 3 more months go and i finally get my jeep back (this past friday). $1,984 additional. 5 miles later - the only gear I can find is 3rd or 4th when I'm in the neutral position. Every other position is actually neutral. So now I'm stuck because I get the jeep towed back to the same shop of course. It looks like I will actually be without my jeep for 5 months. $3000 in repairs and $500 in insurance.
I will check with the better business bureau and look into small claims court. i will need some proof of what this job should have entailed. ie. hours from the book. average price for a rebuild job. i'm wondering if i can prove that the clutch was not needed and i paid for an unnecessary job to start with. do you think i stand a chance here? it only had 15k on it but I don't have proof.
where can i find typical costs?
thanks very, very much.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 10:46 AM

For what it's worth, I spent a lot of time looking for a remanufac. AX15 for my 88YJ. To get a used but rebuilt one it'll run you about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2455705123

For about $700-800 on ebay. That doesn't take into account labor.

Was your transmission rebuilt? or did they put in another transmission all together that was rebuilt?

The time frame there is really shady I didnt think it'd take months to do that kind of work.

Let us know what goes on.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 09:47 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Thanks, that clears things up a lot.

It almost sounds like your shifter assembly is out of the slide rails. If it were, the shifter would move around, but only catch on the slider it came off. It's just a wild guess, but it's my best one, unless they did put in a used tranny or completely messed up the other one. When putting the top cover back on, if the shift rails aren';t lined up properly, they could slide out and get caught on some gears. I did it once on my SM465 until I learned the sifter and gears have to be 1/2 way to reverse for the top cover to fit properly.

Did you pay them for the tranny work already? I'm assuming you did, personally I would have taken it for a test ride before handing them a check, just for this reason.

If the tranny died in 5 miles, they should cover it, obvious negligence is abound here, or complete incompetence. For $2K, it should run and drive like new, or better than new.

I would ask them to make good on it, and if they don't, raise a stink with the BBB.

Go to a dealership in your area and talk to one of the mechanics directly, they are usually much better to deal with than the service writers. Ask them for a copy of the page with the Flat Rate times on it, that's what it should take to complete the job. Most mechanics can do it in under that time, which is why they can make 70 hours in a 40 hour week. If you don't have one in your area, I may be able to get something around here, but there aren't a lot of dealerships in my area.

I would stop by a lawyers office and ask them about it, most of them (up here anyway) will give a free consultation. Or you could try one of the legal services online, but I don't know of any off the top of my head. A friend of mine has a "business", prepaid legal, sort of like "network marketing". You probably have something like that in your area where you can get a lawyer's services for a greatly reduced cost.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode