D44 in a CJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:26 AM
85CJ93XJ98CTD

D44 in a CJ

I'm going to put a Dana 44 in the rear of my CJ-7. I'm looking for a 58-60" 5 on 5.5 axle. A buddy of mine has one from a Quadra-trac Waggy that is 5 on 5.5 and the perfect width. He said I could have it for nothing if I wanted it. My question is... can I use that offset rearend with a Dana 300? Can the stock drivesshaft handle it or would I need a CV driveshaft for the compound angle? Even then, will the compound angle wear out the driveshaft quickly? My other two choices are to find a 44 out of a Scout or I can get a 9" from an EB. What to do? Thanks.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:39 AM
Official Historian

Re: D44 in a CJ

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
A buddy of mine has one from a Quadra-trac Waggy that is 5 on 5.5 and the perfect width.

[/ QUOTE ]

How was it modified? They don't come that way.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Can't Get Enough

True. The width may be what you are looking for, but waggies had 6 lugs. I think the offset will be too much as well. I would look for a scout rear. They are 58.5" 5 on 5 1/2. EB 9" rears are good, but the pinion sits so low that it can be a problem and sometimes cause vibrations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 12:03 PM
85CJ93XJ98CTD

I thought all Waggies had 6-lug too. But I was over at his house the other night to measure it and it is sure enough a 5 on 5.5. He was pretty sure this came from a Waggy. Did anything else have a offset 44 with 5 on 5.5"? It's offset probably around 4 inches or so. It's too wide to be a CJ 44. Were the FS Cherokees 5 on 5.5"? Thanks.

Brian
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 12:26 PM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Were the FS Cherokees 5 on 5.5"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

There is the possiblity it is from an older vehicle that had a dana 18 like a willy's wagon. Pull an axle shaft and see what spline count it has.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 01:07 PM

older waggys had 5 on 5 1/2....maybe pre 1974?? not sure.
Will may be on to something, if it's from a Willys wagon the spring pad will only be 1.75" wide. Maybe from a Willys P.U. ....wider WMS-WMS and spring pad but can't remember the figures right now.

As far as the angle thing goes...do a search for these threads,(sorry no time to link them right now)....
Search... #1 javajeeper 11/14/02 ''compound driveshaft angles?'' This is where Will straightened me out on this subject.
Search... #2 cjcrawler 5/17/02 ''Rear driveline side angle, how much is too much?'' Will helping out again.
Search... #3 Will 11/02/99 ''compound u-joint angles'' cjdave helping out Will...

IIRC all these threads had links to other threads putting the whole thing into perspective.

Will: I can't believe you didn't jump on the angle thing. (not ribbing you, just surprised,,,,,,, thanks for your help in the past)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 01:13 PM
Old Hand

I was also thinking 74 and earlier Waggy's had the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. I think the big reason nobody looks for them is the front has closed knuckles and drum brakes. I don't think I'd try an offset rear with a 300. Too easy to find a scout axle or re-drill or have shafts made for a 6 lug, and either one would be less than CV shafts and all the other hoops you'd have to jump through to even try the offset.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 03:30 PM

73 and older had D44 with 5 on 5.5.
A waggy with a Dana 18 has off set rear, but not as offset as the Q-Trac ones.

73 Waggy was 5 on 5.5 and a Q-Trac was offered in 1973 so in theory he could have a 5 on 5.5 D44 with the Q-Trac offset.

Now - what was the original point of the thread.

[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Oh, yeah.

Look for a Scout rear. You will be thankful later.

[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 03:57 PM
85CJ93XJ98CTD

Thanks guys. I did a search for "compound angle" earlier and came up with nothing. I must have misspelled it or something cause I tried again and found some posts on it. Sorry about that, I hate it when people ask before searching first. So it sounds like I should drop the free-axle idea. Dangit. The price was so right. I should be able to pick up a Scout 44 for around $100 though. A friend of mine has a 9" out of an EB, that's why I was considering that one. He said if I could find him a full-size 9", he'd trade me. Thanks for your input everyone. I'm a newbie to CJ stuff and this site. I just picked up my new little CJ-7 Saturday. I've been wheeling a "long-wheelbase" Cherokee XJ for years though. Thanks again.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode