XJ 4.0, trans, transfer cse swap into a cj7!? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 07:02 PM
nostalgia73

XJ 4.0, trans, transfer cse swap into a cj7!?

After thrashing the 258 in my CJ7, I put it in the back of the garage to ponder its next upgrade. I had an 89 XJ auto with no mods. It was honestly an incredible trail rig. After a drunk driver slammed its rear while it was parked, I was given a healthy insurance check to compensate me for the loss. Enter the cold hearted bi*@h.(not my wife the CJ!) Justly named due to the fact it was almost impossibe to get her warmed up enough to perform.
Enough history.
I realize that I will never be satisified with a carbed engine while I try to compete with my trail buddies.
OK, lets TBI kit it, $1600? NO! 4.0 head swap? To many variables, time consuming, and large margin for error down the road.
The XJ is the only 4.0 i have found with a strong reputation, and that has the transfer output on the same side as my CJ.
I dont need help figuring out what bolt to take out first, I need anyones ins and outs that have seen this conversion.

I have the space, tools and skills to do this swap.I am really excited about it. I just have to question this because to me the conversion will be pretty easy, so there must be a catch!

Is there a catch, or is it just like I see in my head? Take my time, build it right the first time and reap the rewards of a great powertrain package?

E-mail, or just respond with ANY IMPUT!

WHEEL ON!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode