O/T Software problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

O/T Software problem

I just got a new computer, a Dell, with Windows XP. It came with Internet Explorer already installed and it was working fine. I could click on the envelope icon at the top and go to Outlook Express and get my email.

I wanted to install my Microsoft Office software, Word, Outlook, Excel, so I put the CD in the drive and let it install. Then when I went to Internet Explorer, it had Outlook for my default email program. I wanted Outlook Express, just like it was. I already had some email in the Outlook express anyway.

Ok, so I open Outlook Express from the desktop shortcut and It gives me the message that it is NOT my email default program and asks if I want it to be. I click Yes, and now it seems to think that it's the default. Back to IE, click on the email icon and it goes to Outlook, not Outlook Express. Go into IE options and Outlook Express is set as my News default but Outlook is the email default. Click on the pull down and Outlook it the only option. I set it so there is no default. Back to Outlook Express, again it says it's not the email default and again I click yes to make it the default. It didn't. Go into Outlook Express options and tell it to make it the email default, hit Apply and Close. Still not set as the default. Back to IE options and Outlook Express is not on the pull down list for email browser.

Ok, I accept it. It's not to bad to click on the Outlook Express from the desktop to get/send email, I just won't be able to get there directly from IE. Everything is fine until today, I go to send email to a person listed in a multiple mailing from where I used to work. I click on his email address, which is highlighted in blue, and it opens 32 IE pages all of which say "Cannot be displayed".

What gives? Is there a way out of this without reinstalling IE? The only thing I hate worse than software that doesn't do what it's supposed to is software that does things it ain't supposed to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 05:35 PM

Re: O/T Software problem

How about uninstalling Outlook if you don't use it?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 05:36 PM

Hey Taz,

Here's two things I'd do right out of the Chute.. First, Internet Options >> Programs Tab >> Reset Web Setting button... Click it. That will reset everything to the way IE came out of the box. Whatever Office did, perhaps it will undo.

Next... "Patchy patchy patchy..." Patch that thing up as tight as you can. I think there has been several IE patches released and any one of them may resolve the problem. I'm sure you know how to do that but just in case ---- Start >> Programs >> Windows Update.

OR: http://windowsupdate.microsot.com

If you happen to be on dialup, start the updating when you hit the sack and bounce your computer in the morning.. See if that resolves the problem.

Good Luck!!
Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

Tried both of 'em. The web setting don't reset and I just did all the critical and driver updates last Friday. Wasn't bad even on dial-up, took about an hour and a half.

Dan,

I installed the Outlook for a PDA but decided I could do it from another machine so I tried uninstalling all of the Microsoft Office programs. Didn't help.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 06:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Taz,

Check this out:
Outlook Express Does Not Start from the Mail Button in Internet Explorer
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 07:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

More MS Knowlage Base worms in here than you can shake a security alert at.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 08:17 PM
Old Hand

Taz, I would do as Dan 84 CJ-7 said, just stick your office install cd back in and uncheck the outlook express and uninstall it. I am assuming that if you dont want it for e-mail then you wont be using it at all. It should cure your problem if you just get rid of it. Its just taking up space right now anyway.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

Looks like that's the problem. Under;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\,

I have no Outlook Express, only Outlook.

I don't feel comfortable making changes there without "adult supervision". I'll email the link off to my 'puter geek and see if I can get him on the phone when I make the change. He'll like it, he didn't know what the problem was either.

Thanks.

Since that was so easy, I've got a Windows 98 machine (Acer) that had the CD burner go bad. I replaced it with a new Memorex one. It works great but it's giving Windows Explorer fits. The D: (second hard drive), E: (CD Rom drive) and F: (CD-RW drive) blink in and out. It's sometimes a problem for other programs when trying to open or save to the drives. If I put a CD, blank or not, in the F: drive, it stabilizes Windows Explorer.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 01:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Windows 98? Acer?

Maybe the Rav4 forum [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Sounds like the poor thing needs a OS re-load.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 02:49 PM

Taz, in Internet Explorer, on the top menu, to to Tools, then Internet Options, then click on the Programs tab. By clicking on the Email drop-down menu, choose Outlook Express as your email program, then click OK. You may have to close Internet Explorer and open it again for the change to take effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode