Uh oh, possible damage? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Uh oh, possible damage?

Well, on my way to work this morning there is a section of freeway that goes down hill a ways and it's a nice long gentle curve. I was late so I thought I'd let the CJ get up to about 70-75. About half way into the curve this very loud noise starts from the left front tire, like the wheel is rubbing on the body or something. With great alarm I get off the freeway and stop as soon as I can. Looking at it I don't see anything rubbing or anything wrong for that matter. Rather perplexed. I grab the hub and try to move it, nope, all 5 bolts are still tight. (I check these every 2 weeks just to make sure) As I'm staring at it trying to think what's wrong I'm scraping mud off of the hub housing, by the selector dial. Wait a sec, do I see the arrow pointing at a 4?! Yes, it is! I immediately check the other side. No, it's in 2 wheel. Apprently some curious "individual" decided to lock my drivers side into 4 wheel yesterday while I was in the office. Ugh! Well, I put it back in 2 wheel and no noise and all 'seems' fine. This probably was done before I drove home last night, so total miles are about 65, all freeway. What kind of damage might this have done? And why do people think they can play with someone elses vehicle? [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] I hate that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 11:59 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Uh oh, possible damage?

1. Wear and Tear?
2. Yes...
3. Damage?
4. Likely not.
5. Pull the hub,
6. Check it out for damage,
7. Clean it,
8. Lightly lube it,
9. Re-assemble.
10. It's not a bad time to check those wheel bearings!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Leve. Any idea why it would make such a loud noise? It litterally sounded like the tire was rubbing on the body. Well, I've been meaning to upgrade to the Warn conversion ket anyway. This might be a good time to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 02:00 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Check that the leaf spring hasn't started shifting into the tire. Occasionally if the things that hold the springs from shifting break they will rub into your tires in hard cornering. Banging them with a hammer and using hose clamps can fix that.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 10:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

A few things come to mind that may or may not be relevant to your situation and noise.

The D30 and D44 front hubs have a plastic "Dust Shield" behind the spindle that can make some noise when the hubs are locked. That noise becomes much greater when the needle bearing inside the spindle is worn out. Put that in place along with worn out lower ball joints and you get some pretty loud sounds. I assume this is because the hub moves in relation to the axle, beyond the normal range, putting the u-joint in a bind. No damage as long as you stay on the road and nothing breaks.

While I have never seen this in a Jeep I would be happy to have some help changing the ball joints in my kid's Blazer that has a D44 front. Oversize tires make it worse and likely wear things out more quickly, the Blazer has 35 inch tires.

As for running highway speeds with locked hubs my other Son won the grand prize with his CJ-7. Spun off the front drive shaft and poked a silver dollar size hole in the T5 case taking a chunk from the transmission to transfer adapter with it. The drive shaft likely was at fault but I rebuilt both the T5 and the D300 completely. DON'T FORGET TO UNLOCK YOUR HUBS !

I know you didn't do it to yourself but it is easy to forget, I did a few times up until that adventure.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 11:15 PM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
this very loud noise starts from the left front tire, like the wheel is rubbing on the body or something

[/ QUOTE ]

As was pointed out, a bad inner spindle bearing sounds like the most logical explanation.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 12:21 AM

Driving with your hub engaged really isn't going to cause any major harm. My f150's hubs are engaged all winter. Some waggies came with drive flanges instead of actual hubs.

Barrelroll
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 06:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Er......ah......JEEP PEOPLE! You are missing something here!.....WAKE UP!......!! [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] The noise that Riff-plus-Raff heard was the SPIDER GEARS racking like mad! When you lock only one hub, and the t-case is NOT in FWD, then the locked hub spins the spider gears and rotates the axle on the opposite side!!!! [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] SHEESH! Is no one awake out there???? [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Haven't you guys ever used "Oklahoma Rear-Axle-Only Low Range" by locking one front hub? By doing that, you cause the driveline to rotate, but having one front hub unlocked relieves stress on the front axle on hard surfaced roads. On Quadra-Trac Jeeps you can run in QT "Lock" and lock only one front hub to get the same effect. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Here......take this pot of coffee........WAKE UP OUT THERE!!!!!!! [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Heck...take TWO pots of coffee. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 07:37 AM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The noise that Riff-plus-Raff heard was the SPIDER GEARS racking like mad

[/ QUOTE ]

But the wranglers, chevy's and older dodges are the same way buy using the central axle disconnect. The driveshaft stays still, there are no hubs to disengage and the long side axle is seperated into two pieces with the inner one rotating backward and the outer one forward. The spider gears shouldn't be making noise. I still bet on a worn out inner spindle bearing.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 06:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] WILL.....you're right about the YJ's with the axle disconnect, and I SUSPECT that those vacuum-disconnect differentials have more that just a few thrust washers tossed in behind those spider gears as differentials have historically had. Since the factory intended the spiders to be rolling around in there as the Jeeper sped happily down the freeway in his YJ in 2WD, they must have made some changes in the way the spider gears are held. Differentials won't live long if the spiders have to turn constantly......usually from mismatched tires........unless some sort of special measures have been engineered into the spider gear carriers. In the case of Riff-plus-Raff, his differential has nowhere near that kind of capability, and I suspect it was protesting loudly, which was what he heard. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode