OT - Need advice on removing Rust. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

OT - Need advice on removing Rust.

I purchased a piece of equipment off E-bay, and it has substantial rust on it. I need to remove all the rust, and I was thinking of naval jelly or some such animal. My concern, this is for food processing. I need to be able to clean any chemical I get on it. Once clean, I will paint the parts that do not come in contact with food normally with an oven black paint, the parts where food contacts, will be oiled to prevent future rusting.

BTW, I tried elbow grease, and there are just to many little corners, ridges, and such to do an adequate job. Another alternative is to have it sandblased, but I am trying to do this on the "cheap".

I would appreciate any advice.

On a side note, a friend told me they used pepsi to remove rust, anyone heard of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 10:04 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: OT - Need advice on removing Rust.

1. I second the sandblasting.
2. I use a cheapie sandblaster,
3. I bought from Fleet Farm,
4. I've used Coke to eat away metal...
5. But you've almost got to have it submerged.
6. I've never seen Pepsi do the same thing..
7. But I've never tried it...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 10:07 AM
Can't Get Enough

Some parts stores have a bead blasting machine (I know my local Car Quest does) and they do it prety cheap. It is a little softer on parts than sand blasting. I don't know about Pepsi, but Coke can be used to clean your toilet. The carbonic acid in the soda eats away at the build up and scale. The same priciple may work on rust. Can it be brushed with a wire wheel on a drill or dremel tool? I've done some body work on my pickup and used scuffing pads on a die grinder to remove some surface rust. That may allow you to get into the small places.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 10:24 AM

Go to your local high-school with a sand blaster.. I know the one around here the kids just love attacking stuff with it.. I take 10 or so parts around there a month.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 04:46 PM
Official Curmudgeon

It would help to know what you bought or at least an idea of what size it is. For small items that I can soak or ones I can fill, my favorite rust remover is white vinegar. The yellow, cider, just has flavor and coloring added so it's more expensive. If it's large, you can dilute the vinegar with water. If it's too big to soak and can't be filled, you can spray it with vinegar but you have to keep spraying it on.

Muriatic acid (HCl) will also work sprayed on and should not be a problem around food once you rinse and dilute it. In diluted form, it's already in your stomach. Make sure you read all the cautions, in the concentration you'll buy it in it is dangerous stuff.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

thanks cj7taz, I have about 1/2 gallon of muriatic acid from when I was doing fabrication. If that dosn't take care of it, sandblasting is the next alternative.

"It" consistst of a sausage stuffer/fruit press. It holds 1 1/2 gallons. Would take a lot of vinegar but doable. I will also consider that as a try first.

another question, how long does vinegar need to be incontact with the metal? I have used the muriatic acid and I remember why I did not like it. As soon as you rinsed it off, before you could even think about drying it, it would flash rust. I would imagine anything that cleans the metal that clean, including vinegar and sand blasting would do the same thing except you don't need to rinse those off with water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode