Need Advice from the Family Men of the board - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Need Advice from the Family Men of the board

Ok Guys, I need a little advice. I'm looking about 6 months down the road to my next vehicle purchase. I am going to need to get rid of my '97 ZJ, it has seen much better days.

I'm not a family man, yet. I just got married last June so it will be a little while until we have kids but I am kind of planning ahead. I have two vehicles in mind. Either another Grand Cherokee or a Wrangler. I've decided that if I am going to get either one it's going to be either the Overland (GC) or the Rubicon models. I get a monthly car allowance from work so I can afford to get nicer models. I like the GC because of the space and comfort, but I also want to get into a SWB vehicle eventually so I can join an off-road club/extra curriculars and get some off-the-pavement time in.

Anyway, I grew up with Jeep, CJ's and Wranglers in particular so I know it is possible to have kids and have SWB vehicles. But what I don't remember is if it was a pain in the butt. What do you guys suggest I do, stick with another Grand Cherokee or go with the Wrangler.

From your experience, what do you suggest I go with? I guess a third option is to go with the Grand Cherokee and just get a cheap CJ to puts with.

Thanks,
Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 09:24 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Need Advice from the Family Men of the board

If you have to deal with a child safety seat, by all means get 4 doors. I take my grandson out in my cj, and when the top is on, the child safety seat is a royal pain. Go with the Grand, and get a CJ/YJ/TJ to play in.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 09:38 AM
Pooh-Bah

I second the child seat thing. When my wife and I had our son, she was still driving a Sebring Convertable. Fun car, but to put him in the rear facing seat, you had to get in the back seat with him in your lap and put him in, then get out and move the seat back to get yourself in. Royal PIA.
We got a mini van for her and I still have my Commando for weekends. (I have a company truck for during the week).
When test driving cars, if you plan to have kids before you plan to buy a different car, borrow a child seat from a friend and take it with you. Even with the grand Cherokee, we had to put the seat forward for a rear facing (up to 1 yr.) seat.
Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 09:43 AM

I agree 100% with John and Chris on this,,
The wife will not like climbing in the TJ to put a child in and out.
4 doors will be your friend.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 09:43 AM
Way Outta Control

1. Go out to a Wrangler and put in:[*]Diaper bag[*]Crib[*]Car seat[*]Bassinet[*]extra diapers[*]extra kids clothes[*]extra baby food[*]lots of dipe'n wipes.
2. Then try to get the child in the car seat...
3. Now drive about 50 miles....
4. And have the wife try to quiet a crying child.
5. The Wrangler will quickly be dismissed...
6. As much as I hate to say it...
7. Buy a Caravan (or the like).
8. Keep your vehicles separate,
9. One for the family,
10. With all the creature comforts,
11. And another with for the trail...
12. Like all things in life,
13. Keep it simple,
14. Or you'll pay the price...
15. And remember the famous Momma Rule ,
16. <font color="red"> If Momma ain't happy, </font color>
17. <font color="red"> There ain't no one happy! </font color>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 09:44 AM
Old Hand

Ditto on buying the GC and a CJ. It's not easy wheeling the DD. Especially if you break it on the weekend. Makes it nice to have the CJ as a 3rd vehicle so upgrades and repairs don't have to be rushed.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 09:58 AM
Can't Get Enough

Why not get one of the soon to be released Wrangler Unlimited's. Then you get to keep the fun of the TJ and have more cargo room and leg room in the back. Then in about 5-6 years you have a great platform to make a family trail rig! Check it out here

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 10:54 AM
Journeyman

I will second and third the thoughts of a GC over a Wrangler when planning for children. I have one child and it is nearly impossible for you to get a car seat in with the top on. Get a DD and then something to play around in on the weekends.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 12:22 PM

I'm assuming your wife has a vehicle also? If her vehicle is suitable as the family vehicle, I'd look into getting one of the new Wrangler Unlimited models...wait a little while and a Rubicon version of it just might show up if your heart is set on that. I'd just get a base model and put lcokers, gears, lift, &amp; tires of choice on it, but that's your call. This will leave you with a designated family vehicle plus a capable off roader that can do DD duty as well as function as a family vehicle when it has to. If your vehicle has to be the family vehicle, then get a GC and pick up a cheap YJ to tinker with...you'll be ahead of the game money &amp; effort-wise over a CJ. As much as I love my CJ's, if I were starting a build-up today, I'd start with a decent cheap YJ.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 01:40 PM

I have a YJ with a hardtop. It's not such a pain to put the kid in if you do it from the rear. But I'd never take our kid on a very far trip in it either. Just not enough room for all the gear. Plus it just ain't made for long road trips. In fact, only twice in his two years have I ever taken him on the freeway in it. And those trips were just short 5 or 10 mile sections to get to the road I wanted. But I guess a new Rub would handle a lot better on the freeway than my YJ.

If I could afford it, I'd get a GC for a family vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode