dumb question about buying tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 03:35 AM
vols

dumb question about buying tires

i need some new tires for my 93yj, right now it has 30x9.50r15 size tires but they are in bad shape with a deep dry rot crack on all 4 of them and one is flat and has very uneven tread due to the previous owner not inflating it properly. right now i'm kinda tight on cash so i'm goin for some cheap dayton tires size p225/75r15 for 200 bucks or i could go even cheaper with triumph tires (same size) for 160 but i've never heard of them and dont know if they are realiable. i badly need some advice on what to buy.

also, i had to replace the tie rod end a month ago and had an alignment done, do i still need an alignment done when i get the new tires? as you can tell i havent grasped the idea of what the alignment actually is,..thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 07:04 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: dumb question about buying tires

Vols, you should complete your user profile if you plan to use this board. Don't know on the tire question. Personally, I'd rather spend a little more for something as important to my well-being as tires. Just feel better going down the road knowing my tires will probably get me there. As for the alignment, you don't need to have it done again. Changing tires won't affect the alignment.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 07:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

If you are strapped for cash, and you need a set of tires, you may try locating a local 4 wheeling club. They almost always have for sale sections, and finding great deals on tires is usally pretty easy, because people are always adding bigger tires. You will be shocked at some of the prices, a lot of the time people just want them out of the way, and they are willing to take a loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 07:33 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

If your close to the New Jersey area, I have a set of 4 31x10.5 Firestone All Terrains on Gray Islander rims for sale. The tires have probably 90 to 95% tread left and look good. I'd take $100 for the set. Sorry, will not ship.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 07:41 AM

I wouldn't worry about cheap tires. They're probably a lot better than really good tires from 20 years ago. And most are made by the name brand companies you're familiar with. Treat them the same as an expensive tire and they'll give good service; inspect them periodically and check the pressure frequently.

Used tires from a club are a good idea; just look them over carefully for cuts. The big concern is that they were run severely under- or over-inflated. That can cause damage you can't see.

Tire stores are another good source for used tires. Often someone will buy a new vehicle and drive it straight to the store for different shoes. Call some stores and ask for 'take-offs.".
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 07:59 AM
Keyboard Implanted

You might also check for used tires. I just bought two sets of tires for two Grand Cherokees. One set of street tires for the grocery getter 30x9.50's had about 1K miles on them, picked them up for $250, monted and balanced. They are Auroras, made by Hancook tires. the others were BFG Muds 31x10.50 never touched the ground, just mounted and then unmoutned after the guys trucks burnt to the ground.. but before they were ever put on his truck! $400 for four mounted and balanced. saved me a few hundered all together.

check with some of the smaller tire shops, they generally have slightly used tires from previuos customers.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 07:59 AM

Hich-Tec Retreading sold me a great set of 30x9.5" tires on Brigestone Dueler carcasses for $230 shipped to my door! They're on the internet, so look them up.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 08:45 AM

My Step-dad is the Retail Service Manager at the Pomp's Tire National Headquarters in Green Bay and he told me something I found quite interesting a while back...

He said that many of the off-brand tires are actually name brand tires with a different name to sell the tires cheaper. Here's an example to help explain my point. Back in high school, I always had two sets of wheels for my vehicles. One with nice chrome American Racing wheels for the summer time and another crap set that I used in the winter time. For my "Winter wheels" I had a set of cordovan tires on them. I had never heard of them and for a milisecond questioned the reliability. Turns out, Cordovan tires are cast from the same mold as Kelly-Springfield Tires. So, in general, I was buying a set of Kelly's rather than Cordovans. They were just significantly cheaper.

And if you want some comfort in the purchase of Daytons - my step-dad put them on my little brother's '79 CJ7. My step dad is pretty anal retentive about getting quality tires on our vehicles so you can trust that he wouldn't have put them on my bro's jeep unless he was 100% sure they were reliable tires.

Sean
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 09:37 AM

Sorry VOLS don't want to steal your post but just borrow it to set something straight.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
many of the off-brand tires are actually name brand tires with a different name to sell the tires cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not the case. Most off brand tires ARE in fact made differently than the parent co. tire under a brand name. ie: Dayton tires make a lot of off brand and store brand tires. Carnagie from Pep Boys is just one, this tire is made on the Firestone mold with the name plate changed but the recipe for he rubber and layering is way different than Firestone tire.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Cordovan tires are cast from the same mold as Kelly-Springfield Tires. So, in general, I was buying a set of Kelly's rather than Cordovans. They were just significantly cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are made to a recipe dictated by the buyer. Granted if the tread style is purchased then that tire will come off the SAME mold that the name brand tire did but the rubber make up and layering WILL be different.

Name brands do carry their own cheaper than tires made on the same mold as the original Name brand,, BUT they ARE different, there has to be some cost reduction to it, to under mine their own sales is business suicide.

By the way, Firestone, Bridgestone, and Dayton are all in bed together ,,,so to speak [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I spent 5 years making tires at the Dayton Tire plant on Council RD in Oklahoma city back in the 70's
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 04:39 PM

Yeah... that's probably how he explained it... of course it was explained to me in a period of about 2 minutes at the dinner table nearly 7 years ago... no wonder I got the facts wrong... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode