Any tips for pulling an axle housing? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Any tips for pulling an axle housing?

Hello All,

This weekend I'll be traveling several miles to retrieve a Dana 44 front axle out of a late 70's Wagoneer. Do you all have suggestions on tools or tips I should take with me? I'm planning on taking 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" sockets, breaker bars, a couple of handy-mans, a couple of jack stands, blocks of wood, wrenches, channel-locks and of course a BFH. Any other suggestions? Will I need any special tools? How similar is my 1980 CJ-7's Dana 30 (mounting wise) to the Waggy's Dana 44?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 05:30 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Any tips for pulling an axle housing?

The best way to pull the axle off the donor is to bring an acetaline torch and a hack saw. Then all you have to do is torch the u-bolts and shock mounts and cut the break lines. I think the u-joint's u-bolts use a 7/16" wrench. Could be 1/2". Bring both. That's how I got mine and it only took 10 minutes. Make sure you grab the u-bolt plates too. I'd bring a small tool box with you with several sizes of wrenches and sockets. You never know what you will find when you get there. You may also want to bring a pickle fork to get the drag link off the pitman arm.

To make your new axle fit you will have to outboard your springs hangers and shackle mounts. Check with the search function and you will find out how to do so.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 05:32 PM

Some means to cut the U bolts would be helpfull if they prove to be stubborn time wasters. First choice would be oxyacetylene, then seeking power for an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel, last choice a hack saw and spare blades. Its handy to bring a hack saw anyways, there may be brake lines that need to be cut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 05:34 PM

Oh yeah, and a good jack (not sure what surface you are working on, so maybe a jackall and a floor jack) and some stands or blocks you block up the frame with safely.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 05:36 PM
Old Hand

Planning on trying my new 18V Sawsall I got for x-mas to do mine this week. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 05:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If'n your not lucky enough to have access to an Oxy/Act. torch, and you have to wrench it off, take PBBlaster. before touching a wrench, soak the nuts and bolts down with it, tap on each nut and bolt with a hammer (cappilary action for PB) and then go to work.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 06:48 PM
BMB
Veteran

I don't know if you have one or if the parts stores rent them, but you might want to consider a nut splitter/buster. Goes on a nut and you use a wrench to turn it untilthe nut snaps in half.

To be honest I've never had a problem breaking loose u bolt nuts with a some PB Blaster and a breaker bar, just takes some time and muscle.

The Waggy axle itself mounts pretty much the same as a CJ, just different size nuts here and there.

Oh, I don't know how your loading or getting it home, but it might be easier to take at least the rotors and calipers off. Takes a good bit of weight off without them. Just make sure to carry some allen wrenches, a spindle nut wrench, snap ring pliers, and a couple of small screw drivers.

BMB
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 10:18 PM

I'm suprized no one hasn't mentioned a pickle fork. Your going to need one to get the steering linkage off in 1 piece. When i usually pull an axle to sell i cut the spring hangers off leaving the springs on, cut the steering linkage, cut the brake lines, unbolt the drive shaft and pull the thing out, takes about 10 minuets. I am a hack job so i really don't care about thing like u-bolts or steering linkages. Get the waggy springs if you can they are nice if you want to strech the wheelbase a little or other people are always looking for them.

BarrelRoll
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 08:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I got my front axle from a junk yard, and as part of the deal they pulled it off the 77 Waggie for me. (under my supervision of course) They just picked up the truck with a fork lift. Torched the whole thing and had the axle out in about 5 min. I was so impressed I couldn't believe it. It was so simple and fast. If you can get a torch I would highly recamend it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 08:23 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] You will need a banjo and picks; plus a few watermelons; and a bale or two of cotton. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]Sorry [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I just cannot help but think of those things when I see the name Alabama. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] There is a fairly good chance that you can save the u-bolts, and you could take a cordless drill with a nice stiff wire brush to clean up the threads before you soak 'em with penetrating oil. A long-handled ratchet is nice for taking off those tall u-bolt nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode