O/T network file sharing help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

O/T network file sharing help

More specifically file sharing over the internet. I have a network with dsl and a router/firewall at home, and the same thing at work. Is there a way to securely share files between the two networks over the internet. Basically a file sharing like Kazaa, Limewire, etc, but private and secure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 11:54 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: O/T network file sharing help

Good question. We are networked here at work and I can pull files off of other computers, (wich can be good and bad!) but I don't know about over the internet. What are you wanting to share, Programs like autocad or files such as MP3's?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Yes, mainly Autocad files, I would like to be able to access them from home, work on them and save them so then someone from the office could then open them and plot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 12:31 PM
Way Outta Control

1. With[*]Win2000[*]NT[*]XP
2. You can set permissions for access,
3. That are fairly secure.
4. The security for your work files is the responsibility,
5. Of your MIS/IT group,
6. That's the first place to take this discussion,
7. So they know you're requirements,
8. And can say Yea, or Nay -
9. To your request because,
10. In this computerized world...
11. <font color="red">Nothing is secure</font color> ,
12. There's usually always a way in...
13. You just gotta find it.
14. Back doors are always left open...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 01:22 PM

Sounds like a job for a VPN or Novell's iFolder. Talk to your IT department...you ain't doing diddly without their consent/help other than getting on their sh*t list. [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
If this is a small outfit and you have no IT group and can pretty much do as you please, drop me a line and I'll give you some help. I've done VPN setups for a handful of small companies for home and branch offices...finishing up one right now.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 01:28 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Another thing you could do is see if your work has an FTP server set up. That way you can just ftp from home into the server and share the files that way. It can work both ways if you set one up on your home pc also.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Very small office, no IT department to get mad. Is VPN and iFolder software to do this?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 02:47 PM
Can't Get Enough

How do you determine if you have a FTP server? I'm in the same boat as PB. Only one guy in our IT department and he is very liberal!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 02:58 PM

iFolder is software, VPN can be hardware or software (I prefer an all hardware solution whenever possible as it's easier to setup and virtually transparent to the user). For a quick, dirty &amp; cheap setup, you can get yourself a couple of Linksys BEFVP41's or similar. Set one up at home in place of your current broadband router and the other one up at the office using one of the leftover static public IP addresses from the bank of addresses that your ISP would've given you (if you don't have a T1 or business class DSL or cable at the office giving you a static address, then you'll need to use DDNS and do some port mapping on the existing firewall). Depending upon what firewall you have at the office, it may even already have VPN capability.

FTP is an option, but a little less convenient and a little less secure. You want to poke as few holes in your firewall as possible...it's kinda like poking pinholes in a condom [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 06:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Jeepskate: Thanks for the info on the Linksys BEFVP41, never heard of it before. After reading it I still like the Netgear FVS318, which I have installed at a few dozen locations including my home and office. 70 Tunnels vs 8 is a pretty big difference, though!
PB: I would *guess* you work at a small engineering shop and one of the engineers set up a DSL. Is that engineer still there? Ask him/her if he/she bought a additional router for security and/or internet connections. That would be your best place to start as far as a VPN is concerned.

Another option: Remote computing.
1. Do you have a server, if so, windows 2000 server?
2. If you have no server, just share files between each other's machines (and) leave the machines on all night?
You could run software which allows you to remotely control your machine from home. The files stay there, you can print to the printers in the office, and it *can* be easier to set up.

If #1, then Microsoft Terminal Services is an option. It (sort of) comes with windows 2000. More complex to set up, but more secure.

If #2 Then try Go to my Pc though it is a subscription-basis. Stop groaning Jeepskate-it is the easiest to set-up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode