Using a front D60 for the rear? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Using a front D60 for the rear?

Lets here the reasons why this will not work.

I just picked up a 40something Flatfender for a new project,,,,,
I also have a highpinion ford D60 front axle,,,,,,,
The idea was to shorten the long side tube to the same as the short side so I can use a short side shaft. This would put the WMS's 51" apart, perfect for a flatfender. Now, I want to put this front axle in the rear for 4 wheel steering. It will rotate the correct direction and the caster will be at 0 degrees. The steering will only be used at slow speed rock crawling so caster is not an issue.

So,,,,,,,why won't it work?,,,,,and what do I do to make it work?

[img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 09:07 PM

Re: Using a front D60 for the rear?

I guess I personally don't see why it wouldn't work. But I'm also guessing that you would want to keep it pretty light. With all the extreme use it would see I would think it would need all the strength it could get. I'm just saying that from reading about all the front 60's I hear people breaking all the time in rough conditions. And I would think it would be harder on it in the rear. But to look at the other side of the coin..... I'm also sure it would not be turned at full lock very often as the front would.

I say try it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 09:33 PM
Old Hand

Send the Jeep and all of the parts to me and I'll do an indepth research for the next oh....shall we say 20 years oh so. I'll then return the items with an in depth, itemized list of reasons why it will or won't work. Seriously, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but what do I know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 12:25 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I have a friend who did this with a D44 in a CJ. Yeah I know it's not as beefy, but the same principle applies. Anyway, I know he is having driveshaft vibration issues, but had not centered the dif on the first attempt (trail only).

One thing I did notice is that he had located a really cool switch assembly/ gear shifter that seemes to work well. If you want I can pick his brain and get more particulars for ya. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

If I give this the "go ahead", I'll be using Superior shafts and CTM's joints. The steering will be limited to a 6" travel ram instead of an 8". The motor I'm thinking of using is only about 260lbs torque output through a Powerglide trans so I think the axle should be fairly relieable.

I'm playing with the idea of using a Covair motor [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] . It has very good lowend torque of about 260lbs and 200+hp,,,Aluminium block and heads(less then 280lbs wet), Forged Crank / rods / pistons, Air cooled(for another 100lbs weight savings), very low CG, very good parts avalability. I know a cam that will snip in the correct rotation for the powerglide(stock snips backward). It would be an interesting combo. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 07:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

sounds like a good setup wayne... and i dont see any reason that front 60 wont work for you... from what i have heard.. most people have problems with the shafts... not breaking them.. but twisting the splines... but keeping it light.. with the torque numbers you are shooting for.. you should be better off than most..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 07:45 AM
littlejohn85

The rear sounds like a good set-up on a lower powered rig. But a Corvair engine? 200hp/260ft lbs? That must be one tricked out motor. Highest stock hp was 180, and that was with factory turbo, and that was @ high rpm, not great for a crawler. Wish I had your motor when I was in high school.
Keep us posted.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 07:48 AM

It sounds like a terrific project. I can't visualize how you're going to put that wide motor into the front of a flattie. And the Powerglide seems like an odd choice, but I'm sure you have good reasons.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

210 lbs torque @ 1800rpm, then an almost flat cruve to 270 @ 3100, then flat to 4500,,,,,,,,that is pulleyed 4pounds of boost and 8 to1 compression. I'll be running propane , so I can increase the boost to 9 pounds and run 13 to 1 compression. The power number will most likely be much higher.

[img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1249271-vairblown.jpg (28.7 KB, 3 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 07:23 PM
littlejohn85

Now that's something I've never seen before. A supercharged chevy flat six. What is that thing, a 2-71 blower? Is it for real, or just some creative computer grafting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode