Who has spark curves for 304? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Who has spark curves for 304?

Tom had great luck with his post for the 258,

...anyone have the spark curves for the 304? (LEVE, I saved the ignition info you already posted.)

Mine is a '76 and I've been working on tuning my GM EMC for months, but have never found a place to buy the FSM for the 304.

Thanks,

Clay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Re: Who has spark curves for 304?

I'd also like a place to buy the FSM for the 304. I can find them for the 258 only.

Clay
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 11:18 PM
Mud in my Veins

What's "FSM" mean? A "TSM" (Technical Service Manual)??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 01:17 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Field Service Manual........probly the same thing as a TSM, just a term the military uses. As in FSM 7-8.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

I was using it as Factory Service Manual, but I appreciate you pointing out potential confusion.

I've searched both "Factory Service Manual" and "Technical Service Manual" with AMC, 304, and any other combination I can think of in Google, and can't find a place that sells them for the 304. The only reason I want to buy one is the get the factory spark curves, but I'm sure I'd use it for other things in the future.

Thanks,

Clay
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 09:26 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
"Factory Service Manual" and "Technical Service Manual" with AMC, 304,

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I don't know of a specific manual just for the 304/360/401 motor group, but I do have a 71 Javelin Tech service Manual that has a complete 304/360/401 motor chapter in it including supliments. Now this is NOT for sale but I'm willing to make copies of specific areas you might be interested in.
Send me a PM with what you need.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 01:32 PM

I have a factory service manual for '76 Jeeps, CJ/waggy/J-truck. (covers the whole vehicle...is there a manual for just engines?) It has the chart similar to what LEVE posted. I have no way of scanning it, but I see from your profile you have an auto, so here's the info. pertaining to that....

Non-California:
Initial timing @700 RPM or less w/vac. hose diconnected. set to 10* (O.K. range 8*-12*)
Curb idle speed 700 (O.K. range 600-800) (to be set with tranny in drive and parking brake applied.)
Distributor model 3228263
Vacuum unit number 8125437
Total Adavance @ 2000 RPM 21.4*-29.5* (disconnect TCS wires at solenoid vacuum valve.)
Centrifugal Advance:
Degrees: ......... RPM:
0-5.6 ......... 1000
5.6-9.7 .......... 1500
8.4-12.5 .......... 2000
14.1-18.7 .......... 3000
Numbers for CA and for manual trans are different.

I got my FSM from faxon auto literature (dial-uppers beware!!) or call 1-800-458-2734

If I've left something out.....post up.....I'd be glad to look up anything else you need.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Thank you to both of you.

Java, those numbers give me somewhere to start, but maybe I just need to understand spark advance a little better and how ecm control relates to manual control. I might be looking for the wrong thing.

Maybe someone can help me here. In reply to TOM85CJ7's post speed buggy posted two graphs. One was centrifugal advance vs. RPM, the other was engine degrees (advance) vs. vacuum.

I was hoping to get those two graphs for the 304. When I'm tuning my ecm, the Main Spark Table is a 3D table with rpm vs. vacuum (manifold pressure) vs. advance. I was hoping to use those graphs to figure out what numbers to put into my main spark table to start with.

I'm wondering if maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing, but I'm really not sure. Does anyone have experience here that could tell me where to start? If not, just those two graphs would let me get started where I think I should.

In the meantime, I'll use what you gave me Java, and start trying to figure out how to compare the "centrifugal" advance from your chart to the "total" advance the vacuum would throw in as well.

Thanks,

Clay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode