Lost Jeep Trails in Uwharrie, N.C. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Lost Jeep Trails in Uwharrie, N.C.

Ever wonder where all those closed trails go?
I was looking at www.americanwhitewater.org/rivers/ for a new place to canoe when I came across this, and then compared it to this (be sure to scroll down for the topo map). If I'm not mistaken, the topozone.com map has all/some of the old Jeep trails marked.

I know, I'm bored and have too much time on my hands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 08:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Lost Jeep Trails in Uwharrie, N.C.

i dont think they are lost trails... i think that topo is old.. and the map is newer.. they both show the main road 553.. the topo then turns it into a jeep trial heading towards the uwharrie river.. that is now a dirt road.. and is mostly private land.. our friend phil owns some land down there on the river.. he was the one that had the jet ski's..
and the jeep trail that heads up.. is "falls mountain trail"...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 11:53 AM
Can't Get Enough

I remember Janet telling us that there are some trails in URE that rival Tellico. She said they have been closed for years, but could possibly be opened by some hard politics.
BTW, first weekend in April, the local club is planning a trip. Anyone wanna come?
Ricky...seeya..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 12:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

There is a push to (re)open more trials at URE. CNC4X4 and triad4WD are both talking to Janet, Lea and Mike(?) about them...problem is money, it is in short supply now. Even with the trail fees (which they estimate only about 1/2 of the trail riders pay) and Gov't money they run a short fall every year.

There are some changes in the works for how fees will be paid. One of the ideas on the block now, and will likely be implimented for '04 is the elimination of the "pay boxes" at the trail head (they were getting broken into a lot anyway). You will now have to order a sticker (for seasonal use) or a mirror hanger (for daily use) from selected clubs, (CNC4X4 is likely to be one of them, watch their site at CNC.4X4.org for more info) or at Eldorado Outpost. This should help the Forest Service actually get the money they are supposed to be getting. And as we saw last year there will be more trailhead checks for who has paid. With the seasonal sticker or the mirror hangers the Rangers can more easily police who has and who has not paid.

Doing some of our own trail "policing" will also help, taking pictures of and getting licence plates of vehicles going off trail, cutting trees, or doing other general damage, and getting this info to the rangers helps them prosecute the small percentage of the trail riders that do the most damage.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
BTW, first weekend in April, the local club is planning a trip. Anyone wanna come?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think every local club is planning a ride that weekend...

Who is left in the area from all the great gatherings last year...Mobdawg is gone, Elusive is gone, Infantry is leaving soon, Jeepgod's taking off for the big beach soon...Who else?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ya ricky.. when you drive around... you can see the trails that are closed off... sometime someone should walk them.. and see what they are like... the land does have potential...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 01:20 PM

I'll drink a whole bunch of beer that weekend and sit in my Jeep with some URE pics and some red dirt...how's that sound? [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 03:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Me too. Don't want to get any where near that place with all the ATV's on opening weekend. :-)

Mob, Did you sell Clifford to a guy in the Greensboro area?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 03:15 PM

The IFSJA's 2nd Annual East Coast Invasion is set for June 4th-7th. I'm just oh-so-hoping to have a running/driving SJ by then...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
the local club is planning a trip.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah Ricky, that weekend is going to be a mess anyway. All that traffic and the <font color="pink"> "Camp Fire Girls"</font color> sitting at the bottom of the hill at Dutch John. I can't wait, I'll see you there!

P.S. ....... Maybe after you break your Jeep we can scout those closed trails on foot. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 06:50 PM
Can't Get Enough

Aaron, maybe, I'll just leave it at home and ride with you. Your jeep goes more places than mine..I'll play "Pat" and be a co-pilot..
Really, opening weekend...sounds like lots of fun..Maybe we should bring my jeep.. I know for a fact I can drive over an ATV at any time..
Ricky...seeya...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode