Off Roading Forums banner

Basic Axle Questions

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jeepgod 
#1 ·
Would somebody please fill me in on the difference between flat-top vs. standard knuckles? I realize flat-top are preferred for hy-steer. I'd like enough info. to be able to tell the difference by looking at 'em. Pictures would be great. Also what's the difference between an open and closed knuckle? I tried searching for answers but did not find many details. Thanks

#5 ·
the closed may be closed to junk.. but it does get in.. and when it does.. it stays there.. until you service it... now im no engineer.. but damn near all closed knuckle front ends.. are worthless.. more parts that wear out.. (within the knuckle).. less splines.. usually drum brakes...
then they went to open knuckle.. and its been down hill ever since.. most have disk brakes.. better shafts.. and what not.. im sure some of these old timers can tell you why.... all i can say from working with both of them.. the closed ones suck... too many parts to wear out.. from junk.. that gets in them....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.