Jeep broke down & cost me 900 bucks- long - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 03:11 PM
Billybob015

Jeep broke down & cost me 900 bucks- long

I was driving up to Lubbock from Houston with a friend of mine to stay with him at Texas Tech for a while before college starts again and about two hours into the trip, my 97 tj decides to start dying on me. While going 70mph. As this was happening I just happened to pass a Jeep dealership so I stopped in and asked the guys what they thought. They told me they couldn't really look at it cause they had too much other work, but after describing it to them, they said I probably needed a new fuel pump. So I managed to limp 30 minutes down the road to Austin where I found another dealership who gave it a diagnostic test (for 80 bucks) and told me my downstream O2 sensor was bad (which i have known for a little while but never wanted to spend $150 to fix). So anyhow, I got a new one of those, hoping it was that instead of the $400 fuel pump and got on the road again. About 45 minutes later it started happening again. Of course, the only dealership with a fuel pump that fits my 15 gallon tank was the one that I left 45 minutes earlier. So I turned around, managed to convince one of the service guys to stay a little after hours to put the new pump in, and $600 bucks later, I'm on the road again with no problems. On the plus side, this is the first problem I've had with it for a couple years. And it does have 140k miles on it, so i guess I can't be too mad about it. Just makes me mad it had to happen right then. I got into Lubbock at about 2 AM. I would have stayed in Austin (I go to school there) but my friend had class the next day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 03:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Jeep broke down & cost me 900 bucks- long

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I got a new one of those, hoping it was that instead of the $400 fuel pump and got on the road again

[/ QUOTE ]

Your first mistake is going to a dealership. the same fuel pump at napa is $96.99. thats $300 savings. oh well thats how you learn. next time you will know.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 07:33 PM
TealJeep

Hey Billy,
Could you describe your problem to me I am having a problem too. Wonder if your bad luck might help me fix mine? PS see other post...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 08:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Your first mistake is going to a dealership. the same fuel pump at napa is $96.99. thats $300 savings. oh well thats how you learn. next time you will know.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that rebuilt piece of crap you buy from napa will die in less then half the time it took the first one to die.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

really I've never had a problem with napa's parts. now advance autozone and o'reillys i agree with you. although i have heard some napa stores started carrying cheaper parts in order to compete with these junk merchants. matter of fact its pretty common a dealer will buy parts from napa and charge dealer cost for the part. also you say its a rebuilt part. do you know that for sure? because most parts of this nature i buy from napa are new parts.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 09:40 PM
Billybob015

Tealjeep,

Well the problem started a long time ago. I noticed that after started me Jeep, maybe a half a minute after started (I think the engine was usually cold), while I was in second gear about to switch to 3rd (so I was accelerating above 2rpm) and I noticed that pushing the gas pedal would not give the engine any gas. The RPMs would just drop (faster if the car wasn't in gear). This would only last for a couple seconds, then would go back to normal. And this would only happen once in a while. Definately not every time it started. So I took it somewhere (either a dealership or my mechanic, I'm not sure which) but they couldn't get it to happen. I told my brother and my dad about it but they thought I was just imagining it. So anyhow, I was driving on the highway three days ago after about 2 hours of driving at about 70mph, and it does it again. This is the first time it has ever done it at high speed. So the RPMs drop and I start pumping the gas and dropping the clutch (in like 4th gear because I'm going about 50mph now) and I finally get it going again. Then it happens again about 10 minutes later and I take the clutch out of gear and the RPMs go down to 0. So the engine actually died on me, I lost power steering just as I pulled to the side of the road. I restart it and it runs fine. Then 10 minutes later it does it again, and this time I have a hard time keeping it going. Every time I tried to accelerate past about 60mph, which is a little under 2 rpm in 5th, it stalls on me. So like I said I pulled into the random Jeep dealership about 30 minutes outside of Austin and they couldn't help me, so I pull out of the dealership and have trouble getting it into a high gear because it keeps trying to stall as I accelerate. But I managed to get over to Austin and got them to put in that new O2 sensor. This took a while cause the mechanics were out to lunch at the time. When they finally got the new one in (maybe 2 hours later), the jeep started up great and ran great until about 45 minutes into the trip when It started happening again. So I took it back to the dealership and had them install the new fuel pump, which made it run great for the 7 hour drive to Lubbock.

And I think that's all I know about that. Hope this helps.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 11:48 AM
Official Historian

little under 2 rpm in 5th

[/ QUOTE ]

If you look at your tach you'll notice that it says "x1000". So the 2 x 1000 is 2000 rpm.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 01:54 PM

on a brite note.. i can change a fuel pump in 30 mins.. by myself witha full tank of fuel.. ask me how i know this.. cause i did it to 8 times b4 getting a fuel pump working..

i started caring a spare.. and now ive got 2 spares for my fuel cell setup..

sorry it cost ya 900 bucks..
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 04:01 PM
TealJeep

Thanks,
Think I am, going to try the cheap ideas some folks had and then jump on the fuel pump...

Don
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 10:03 AM
Way Outta Control

A person is never happy except at the price of some ignorance.
•Anatole France

[/ QUOTE ]
1. <font color="red"> If you don't like being lectured to... skip this reply </font color> .
2. This is a case of ignorance not being bliss.
3. When we won't/can't/refuse to learn about "things" in life,
4. We are doomed to be at the mercy of others...
5. True freedom is in knowledge,
6. And the right application of knowledge,
7. That's called wisdom.
8. By judicious removal of ignorance,
9. About the vehicles we ride in every day...
10. We become more free,
11. Free from the ignorance,
12. That lightens our wallets,
13. Consumes our resources,
14. Consumes our time,
15. And generally drives us nuts.
16. Now it is time to[*]Get out them tech manuals[*]Remove some ignorance[*]Be a little more unhappy[*]Be a little more free[*]From the chains of debt and doubt.
17. It's your choice,
18. There's always time to learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode