Semi O/T- 2.5L Plymouth FI problem's *Fixed* - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Semi O/T- 2.5L Plymouth FI problem\'s *Fixed*

Well having some car problems, 89 Plymouth Reliant LE 2.5. The car is stalling out and I can't seem to track it down yet.

I thought I had it yesterday after I put a pickup coil in and a 10 mile test drive but it's acting up again today [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] It's losing fuel for sure plus maybe spark at the same time but I haven't confirmed it. But you can see the injector stop spraying for a sec. the come back on, sometimes the car just stumbles other times it dies.

So far I've:

1. checked dist. for play
2. replaced P/U coil
3. checked fusible links
4. verified pump stays running
5. no codes
6. other common stuff

If I yank the harnesses around sometimes it seems to act-up in time with the wiggle but then it still stays the same with doing nothing. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

What I'm looking for is a pinout of the ECU if anyone has one they could scan or a link (DD's partspro link is down) and anyother tips someone may have?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 01:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Semi O/T- 2.5L Plymouth FI problem\'s

Hi Dan, Dang it, I have had this problem when I was a Chrysler tech. I must have thrown three pickup coils at the Daytona (2.2 fi, non turbo) I worked on and I cant remember what fixed it. I remember it being something in the distributor though, not ecm related. maybe the little 4 prong sheetmetal thing under the rotor that broke the signal for the pickup. I'm thinking that was loose from what it was attatched to and caused the intermittent problem, but it was so long ago. I'm sure there was a TSB on it if anyone knows where to find TSB's on the net?.
Sorry I couldn't be more help. [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Hi Mike, I know what your talking about in the dist., That vane thing burned me before when I was wrenching too and ever since the first thing I check is if its loose and if the dist. bushings are worn. Everything looks fine in the dist, no play in the bushings or the vane and the plastic isn't melted or distorted.

I just haven't had much time to put into diagnosing yet and I work every Sat so come Sun or Mon I'll fire up the wood burner and dive in. Thanks to LEVE I have the pin out now too so I should get it figured out.

I'll let you all know what it turns out to be.

I'm beginning to think this car doesn't like me.
1.First a head in late summer (got the car for cheap because of it)
2.Then a block crack and a different engine over Christmas.
3.Then a rad.
4. Last weekend a alt. (ran fine till Thurs and yes I check it too)
5.Then this
6. Next week ?????
Good thing I got a complete parts car but I'm running out of parts fast [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

I hate cars [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] I glad I don't work on them for a living anymore [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Well I finally got some time today and checked:

1.Verified ASD relay wasn't loosing power
2. Verified wasn't loosing spark
3. Verified injector wasn't loosing +
4. Verified injector loosing - (pulse from computer)

But still the injector would quit spraying intermittently. The thing is not acting like it is loosing fuel pressure but that was the only test I haven't done. So just for giggles I hooked up a gauge and cool great pressure but the [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] thing quit acting up !!!!!

So it seems to be temp. related as the other day it didn't act up after it warmed up and on the test drive. Plus with the wood burner cranked up and doing the other test it got warmed up. On the plus side it is only 5*F and windy out so it should cool down fast as it is sitting outside now.

I'll update the post when I get it figured out.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 03:30 PM
Way Outta Control

1. That pump may be on the ragged edge of failure.
2. But you may be able to resurrect it by,
3. Running some SeaFoam through it...
4. It's save my ceder end more'n a few times....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Well it's fixed this problem anyway.

I couldn't get it to act up again till yesterday morning at least as far as stalling but this car always had a intermittent miss and I was checking the injector pulse with a LED type tester but I decided to use my high impedance test light instead. The light showed a flicker every time it would miss and when it was stalling looked like it was loosing the pulse.

So I took the computer out of the parts car and put it in and the problem of stalling and the miss went away. It was fine all day yesterday and also this morning when I started it up. I also noticed that it started much easier this morning and ran much smoother cold also, the car always seemed to load up when it was cold out. So I seemed to have cured a few problems.

I also just for giggles swapped out the injector just incase it had problems that took out the computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode