Air Tool Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Air Tool Question

Well I have finally graduated to the relm of having air tools in my shop. I have been collecting the parts for a while now (as money provided) And last night I finally put the whole thing together. Brand new craftsman 30 gal. A good quality air filter, and oiler. But I have a few questions.
I got a nice craftsman impact wrench. it is rated at 600Ft lbs in reverse. That is why I got air tools, so I could break things loose. Well the wrench says run it at 90psi.
Well after I got everything together last night I set my Reg at 90psi and started to play around.
I was a little disapointed. I don't think the wrench was getting nearly enought air.
I set the Reg at 90, and the first couple hits were good and hard, but quickly the guage on the reg would drop about 15psi and the wrench would dog out.

Does everyone out there with impact wrenches set the air at 90. What I think would work better would be to set the reg at about 120 so that after the first few blows and the pressure dropps 20 psi I will be running at 90, I feel like I will then be working where I should be.

My big question/ concern is...... IS 120psi going to hurt my wrench?

What does everyone else uses for pressure on thier impact wrenches?

in ture Jeep thinking, I just want the most power for my doller. And I Know the compressor can handle the load.
Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 09:09 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Air Tool Question

120psi shouldn't hurt your wrench. I only turn down my reg when using lighter duty tools such as air grease gun, die grinder etc.

Does your compresor start up as the line pressure goes down? It should. You will probably find that it takes every bit of that 30gal unit to run a good quality 1/2 inch impact.

Don't mean to burst your bubble. The 30gal will work, but it will run more and you may spend some time waiting for pressures to come up in betweeen rattling the gun. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 09:57 AM
Way Outta Control

"but quickly the guage on the reg would drop about 15psi and the wrench would dog out."

The gauge on the regulator is the pressure AFTER the regulator. Did the pressure on the tank drop to the same low pressure? Yes - the compressor/tank isn't giving enough.
No? - restriction - the water trap, regulator, or lines to the regulator are too small to carry the volume.

Impact wrenches are volume hungry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 10:01 AM

I would run it at 120 psi, the hose will drop some pressure. I am no longer running a filter for air tools. I oil them with a few drops and use them. The filter drops even more pressure. I only run a filter (one at the compressor and one at the end of the hose) when I am spray painting.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 11:13 AM
Can't Get Enough

90 psi is where they take thier rating at. Kind of a standard. I don't have a regulator on mine at home and the only time we use one at work is if we are painting. My compressor is set up to cut out at 125 psi and fire up when the tank pressure drops down to 90. I have a lot more power at 120 and when I get down to 90 sometimes I wish it would have kicked on at 100!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 11:36 AM

You also need to know what the CFM rating is for the tool at 90 PSI and the CFM the compressor can put out at 90 PSI. I think I have the same compressor you have, Craftsman 30gallon with a 6.5 horse motor. I don't have any problems with my impact at all.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 11:51 AM

I run the Jeeps compressor up to 120psi.. all the tools are rated for 90.. but I've used them on 160 before and they're fine.. definitely have more whallop though.

If its a shop setup you should have a reg on the compressor.. so the tank goes to 125 and the line to 90psi.. then as the line starts dumping the tank should send more air out.. when the tank gets to 90 it should kick over and start filling.

I like my OBA though.. nice and simple.. 125 in every hose.. and.. I can pretty much run the impact layed out and the compressor will just about keep up.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the replys everyone. They have been most helpfull. The guage I have on the Reg is after the reduction. The guage on the tank doesn't dip. I am thinking that my solution will be to up the pressure on the Reg.

After reading these replys, and sitting here for a min with my thinking cap on, I have come up with the solution to my problem. I am going to keep my air filter and reg and oiler right where they are.
Right now I have my compressor, and the air comes out of the pressure swith. Then it goes into the regulator that came with the compressor then I have a very short flex line that runs into my filter, reg, oiler, then I run to tools. The first Regulator (the one that came with the compressor is set at 125, the reg on my filter/oiler is set at 90)

I am going to chage it so that it so that from the pressure switch the air runs into a T one branch of the T will run to my filter/reg/oiler set up. (I will set the reg to what ever I need at the time (tool dependent)
On the other branch of the T I will simply put a quick connect. That way when I wan to use my impact wrench for heavy duty stuff, I can hook it right up. With it coming out of the compressor I will have 150 Psi Max. No Muss No Fuss. Any other time I need the wrench I will use it after the Reg. But with this set up I will have the option.
thanks everyone for helping me see the light. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode