How to fix oil leaks at dipstick/distributor 258? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

How to fix oil leaks at dipstick/distributor 258?

My 258 is leaking oil where the dipstick holder enters the block, and also around the base of the distributor. I fixed the leaky valve cover and now I can see these leaks. They have probably been leaking for a while. I am considering an O-ring for the distributor. Anyone know the base diameter? Not sure what to do on the dipstick, it is really loose where it enters the block. On other 258s I have had to use a hammer to get them out. I am sure others have these same leaks give me some ideas.

Later,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 06:34 PM
Old Hand

Re: How to fix oil leaks at dipstick/distributor 258?

well I would just use RTV for the dip stick.
And as for the dist go to the parts store they have the gasket for it..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Do you think RTV will hold up to the heat? I have used the dist gasket from the parts store before, it usually doesn't last very long.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 06:47 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Better yet, get some good quality gasket material from the parts store at a fraction of the cost of the needed part and make your own. It's very simple and you'll have material left over for future use.

Sounds to me like your dipstick tube may need replacing. Try the silicone, but if that doesn't work, I'm sure there is someone on here with one lying around. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Can't Get Enough

I've used the dist. gasket w/ no problem before. Even had to reuse it once. Make sure the two mateing surfaces are clean. The high temp RTV silicone will work too. I like the black stuff I get at Car Quest. I use it to seal my timng chain cover and oil pan because I can never get those gaskets to line up for me! Especially that little rubber gasket on the bottom of the timing chain cover. Both surfaces have to be extreamly clean when using silicone. On little oil drop will let a stream fly through latter.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 09:26 PM

Better yet just rebuild your engine. It will only get worst as time moves on. The pressure in the lower crankcase caused by blow by is creating your problem. After it is rebuilt you will not see a leak anywhere on the block and you can take the pvc out of the valve cover and rev the engine and never see a puff of mist. I bet if you pull off one of the tubes on your valve cover and rev the engine you will see mist of oil being forced out of the opening.

Good luck,
Fran
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well I RTV'd the dipstick, and I put an O-ring on the distributor shaft. My distributor flange is broken so that is why the flat gasket won't work. I also change my oil. This is probably the reason I was having a leak. While doing my TBI project I cranked my engine hundreds of times, sometimes it would run, others it wouldn't. The TBI dumped so much gas in my cylinders that it got down in the oil. Probably at least a quart of gasoline mixed with the 6 quarts of oil. The overfull condition plus the thinning from the gasoline probably caused the leaks to be more apparent. After the oil change, and the above fixes, I don't have any leaks.

Thanks,

By the way if anyone wants to put an O-ring at the distributor, you need an ID of 1-1/16"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode