M8000 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

M8000

Ok.. so I'm asking on here because you guys are generally more knowledgable... and I won't drive up the cost on the local clubs site [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

So I was looking for an 8274.. passively.. and just AGAIN lost out on a $300 dealy.. (I thought I sit on here lots.. I missed this one by about an hour.)

So I posted a wanted ad, and a guy who was trying to sell his winch before xmas chimed in.

It's a fresh rebuilt M8000 needs solonoids though.

Questions: These any good? This is self recovery mostly.
What kind of remote do these take? 3 pin or???? (I have a spare 3 pin)
Can I use the ford solonids like everyone does on the 8274 ($7 a shot instead of $50 odd for the warn ones)
Hows the line speed?

The guy wants $375 CDN.. but like I said.. he was trying to sell a while ago.. and I was the only reply.. so I should be able to barter a bit..

Post away [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Re: M8000

Ok, now the guy just sent me a picture of an 8274..

Y-know.. this board is great.. 90% of the time I answer the questions I have myself. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 01:20 AM
Old Hand

First off those "ford" solenoids which you are refering to, are not starter solenoids.
Starter sol are for momentary use only. Winch sol. are for constant duty. You will QUICKLY burn up a starter solenoid on a winch. I replaced a solenoid on my winch recently I paid just under $19 w/ tax. FWIW

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Hrm.. ya.. but multiply X 4 and your talking $80 + tax.. USD..

I'll check what the guys here are running, and get back to you guys.

They're about $7 a peice CDN.. and if there's a risk of burning one up once in a while.. I'll just buy 8 at a time..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 05:16 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I don't think you get the point. Why bother to spend $2 on a part that will constantly break and force you to replace it 10 times when you can spend $15 on a part that won't break and may never need replaced. Sure it costs more now, but what is your Jeeps reliability worth? What happens when you need that winch to work and it wont because you were too cheap to do it right the first time? Is it worth your safety and possibly your life? It certainly aint worth mine to use cheap parts instead of quality.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 09:33 AM
Can't Get Enough

I don't quite understand your question, If you are still looking for info on the M8000, I have one, and like it. Although it hasn't seen many winch jobs with me. They are slower than an 8274, but they do pull. They are lighter, have less rope, block the radiator less, won't pull as fast, are slower to rewind, don't sag your front springs as quickly, etc, etc, etc.. They usually sell for about half of the 8274.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Thats all I wanted to know.. thanks.

As for the other solonoids.

Guys round here run them exclusively. (Even the hard core guys who buy nothing but spicer, have $800 front driveshafts custom made, and laugh at cement walls 6ft tall.) I've never heard of one taking a dive. I'll check it out more and see what's up.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 01:33 PM

I bought a warn m8000 new for $525 american with no shipping or tax. The only times i've used it so far is to load my junk on the trailer. I went with a warn becuase they are quality and i don't want to deal with all the winch issues i had with my harbor freight pos. Not a bad winch especily if you can get it for cheep.Granted if i could have gotten a cheep 8274 i would have but the m8000 should work find for years to come.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode